15 - "You Motherfucker!"

Narrator's POV

April 11th, 2018

For the past few days, life had been rougher. With Michele passing, it took a toll on Austin. After their previous encounter with one another, Mia avoided him like the plague. She didn't want to fuck up the one cordial memory she had with him in their house, as fucked up as that may sound. Although Austin hadn't spoken a single word to her since that night, Mia didn't want to take any chances. 

They went to Michele's funeral together, shed some tears, buried her and came back home. Austin went to his room and didn't come back out till the next morning. He would eat, sleep, drink himself to the max, and sometimes bring home some girls after his late night adventures to the club. All without speaking to Mia. 

College was running it's course for her, she kept up with her studies, and even met up with Zane a couple of times as well. They were becoming good friends. Currently she was sitting at the library catching up on some reading for her Literature class. 

"Mia, hey!" Zane spoke softly, as he held out an iced coffee for her to take. He stood peering over the small brown table, looking at the outdated literary book she was reading.

"I heard it was your birthday last week on the fourth, why didn't you tell me?" Zane continued, quirking an eyebrow playfully, waiting for a response from the flustered girl who quickly composed herself just in time.

"Fuck, sorry. I just wanted to keep this birthday on the down low this year. I didn't feel like doing anything special." Mia explained, pushing her glasses up to her head as they held back her hair from her face. She grasped the coffee cup from Zane taking a long sip, muttering a quick thank you

"Well, since you wanted to be sneaky how about I take you out for dinner this weekend? It'll be fun!" He suggested, smiling with his teeth as Mia thought about it carefully before answering him. 

"Actually, I would love to." She decided she would go, it'll be good for her to get away from her homework and papers for a couple of hours. Plus things with Austin were bound to mess up sooner or later. 

"Awesome! I'll pick you up around eight, is that fine?" He asked smiling from ear to ear, obviously excited for their upcoming date.

"Of course! Can I know where we're going so I know what to wear?" Mia questioned tilting her head as she admired Zane's side profile. He seemed to zone out for a moment as he thought about the location before replying with it's a surprise and gave her his signature boyish grin which had her blushing in an instant.

"Wear whatever you want, you'll look hot in a little black dress though." He snickered noticing Mia's burning cheeks as she waved her hand indicating for him to get away from her.

"I gotta get to work but, I'll see you this Friday." Zane added before getting up to leave as Mia nodded and said bye still smiling at his little playful advances towards her. Throughout her study session Zane's words replayed in her mind, little black dress. . . looks like she had some closet digging to do. . .