Chapter 20

Cas' Pov

I woke up to a harsh white light. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust but the white surrounding me soon focused into four clean white walls.  

The loud electronic beeping from a monitor filled the room. I was connected to endless wires and tubes and machines. I was in a hospital. 

I looked down at my wrists to see them heavily bandaged. 

"Oh good you're awake." I heard a warm female voice. 

I turned to see a middle aged woman with short brown hair and soft kind features.

"I'm nurse Mills, but please just call me Jody." She smiled a smile that made me think everything was ok even if it wasn't.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Dazed." I replied after a long pause.

Jody laughed. She didn't bring up the suicide attempt, I was grateful for that. 

"So do you want me to go get your parents?" 

"No!" I said a little too abruptly, "I'm just not quite sure I'm ready to see them yet." I continued.

"Sure, whatever you say." Jody said without any further questions. "There was a boy who kept dropping by." She continued suddenly and I sat up slightly more alert. 

"He sat with you once but your parents stopped him from coming. He tried to sneak in a few times, I was tempted to just let him in, but rules are rules. He only stopped coming yesterday." 

"Did you get his name." I asked and Jody frowned clearly trying hard to remember. "Was it Dean?" I prompted even though I was already pretty sure it was.

"Yes that's it Dean! Nice eyes, very green." She smiled. My heart sped up and I felt a deep blush creep up my cheeks. Jody seemed to notice my discomfort and dropped the subject after a small knowing smile. 

"Did anyone else come to visit?" I asked after a little while. 

"Oh yeah, you're very popular." 

I chuckled at the irony of her words. 

"There was a sweet girl who visited a few times, very bubbly." Jody smiled fondly. 

"Charlie." I couldn't help smiling too. 

"Yes! And she bought others a few times too. Sadly they were never allowed to stay long as they weren't family." 

The thought of my friends visiting me cheered me up a little, but not enough to distract from the shit situation I was in. 

I soon learnt I'd been passed out for three days, mostly due to all the medication in my system. I was seriously close to dying. I'd been stitched up well but couldn't see the damage under the bandages. 

"Dean drove you here." Jody explained to me sitting at the end of my bed. "Apparently he knocked down your front door, it seems insane. If he'd been a minute later, well, you wouldn't be here."

She said it like it was a good thing. Everyone kept telling me how lucky I was, I didn't feel lucky. Honestly I just felt numb. And I knew I didn't want to be there, in the hospital, or with my parents, or at school, or anywhere near here.

Lots of different doctors and nurses came in and out but Jody was the one I saw most of. She told me it was because she liked me best, I don't know if I believed her much.

Eventually it came time for me to face my parents. I couldn't pretend to be asleep every time they asked to see me, or complain I wasn't up to it.