Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning feeling rough. My mind unable to focus on anything other than the previous nights events. I took a quick shower and threw on some jeans and a comfortable grey oversized sweater. I grabbed a breakfast bar to eat on the way as I was running slightly late. My parents barely paid any attention to me as they were busy getting ready for work.

I walked to school with my headphones in listening to my favourite songs. Usually that helped me clear my head an calm down but today I couldn't shake the nerves or the memories of Hannah's reaction. The horrified look on her face was seared into my brain, the bitter words echoing in my ears.

As the rusty blue school gates drew near my heart rate quickened. I stopped outside the doors and took five deep breaths. A girl with ginger hair walked out and looked at me. She paused for a second and I could swear there was a glimpse of pity on her face a she passed. I squeezed my eyes shut and told myself I was just being paranoid.

I didn't enjoy school by any means, but never before had the locker lined corridors seemed so daunting. Even before I saw another student I felt like everyone's eye were on me.

Far off I heard the excited buzz of voices but as I drew nearer to the corridor where my locker was, the chatter got louder. I slowed down as I rounded the corner becoming increasingly weary. I froze the moment I reached the corridor.

I saw a huge crowd of teenagers pointing, whispering, shouting. The centre of their attention was a point in the wall. It took me three seconds to workout that it was my locker. And as two girls near me parted I could see why.

I felt the walls spin. The world around me came crashing down and my lungs couldn't take in enough air. A sentence was scrawled across my locker in bold white spray paint.

Castiel Novak is a fag!

I saw a boy Azazel standing next to it proudly holding up a spray paint can. And to his left stood Hannah expressionless.

I bent over desperately trying to take in more air but I couldn't. My head was thumping and my vision blurred as tears pricked my eyes.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw one of the younger girls point and gasp. "It's him." She yelled but it sounded like she was underwater. A few people turned but I didn't get a chance to see who.

I bolted. I forced my legs to move until I was running through the halls. I burst through the front doors without a second thought and continued running. My mind was blank. I was completely unable to think. I only stopped running when I physically couldn't run anymore.

I collapsed against a wall and took in all the air my lungs could take. I looked around, I was a block away from my house but that didn't prove any comfort. I'd just bunked school for the first time in my life. But above all that, they all knew my biggest secret. And they were already using it against me. I couldn't go back there. I never wanted to go back there again.

It was then that I finally allowed myself to cry. I didn't  have the energy to stop the tears so I let them flow.

A woman walked passed holding a small boys hand. "Mom why is that boy crying?" He asked tugging her sleeve and looking at me worriedly.

"I don't know honey, come on." The woman hissed hurrying her son along. I watched him glance back at me and forced a smile to comfort him. In return he gave me a small wave which only made me want to cry more.

I buried my head in my hands until I couldn't cry anymore and then I just sat there.

After what felt like forever it became apparent I couldn't stay outside. My hands were numb and the cold hard stone of the wall was digging into my back. Not that I noticed. I decided to head back to my house. I had keys and my parents would never know.