Chapter Three

Misty:

“What’s got you looking so distracted?” Caitlyn asked.

It was Saturday afternoon, and they were at one of Misty’s least favorite places, the mall. For whatever reason, Caitlyn had never outgrown her teenage love affair with the mall. She was there practically every weekend and always trying to drag Misty along with her. The only reason Misty put up with it was because of its few grown-up stores like Macy’s. The Starbucks kiosk and Sees Candy Shop weren’t bad either.

“All right, out with it,” Caitlyn ordered.

Misty frowned at her. “Out with what?”

“I’ve known you since kindergarten. I can tell when something’s on your mind so spill it.”

J.D. was on her mind. Ever since she’d seen him last weekend, Misty hadn’t been able to shake him from her mind. Those intense blue eyes of his struck a familiar chord with her, making her feel things she hadn’t felt in years.

“Do you remember that waiter from the Daily Grind?” Misty asked, unsure where else to start.

“How could I forget a sexy guy like that? I can’t wait for our date.”

“You won?”

Understanding suddenly lit Caitlyn’s eyes. “I knew it.”

“Knew what?”

“You’ve got a crush on him too.”

“I do not.” 

“Sure you do. That’s why you looked so worked up.”

Misty didn’t think she looked worked up, but she didn’t argue with Caitlyn. Instead, she wondered how to tell her friend what she was thinking without sounding like she was crazy. It didn’t even make sense to her that she could be so obsessed with a man she’d seen only once and had never talked to other than asking him to bring her a cup of coffee.   

 “I know this isn’t going to make any sense, but I got the strangest feeling when he was looking at me,” Misty finally admitted.

“It’s called attraction, Misty.”

“That’s not it. I mean, he was good-looking, but it was something else.”

“Then what was it?”

“I don’t know, but I felt like I knew him even though I’ve never even seen him before.”

“Maybe he just has one of those familiar faces.”

“I don’t think so. I got the distinct impression he felt it too.”

“You’re right. You’re not making any sense.”

“I know,” Misty agreed, turning her attention to the rack of dresses in front of her.

“Look, Misty, do yourself a favor and buy a raffle ticket,” Caitlyn advised.

“I’m not going to pay a guy to go out with me,” Misty said and immediately realized her mistake. “Besides, I never said I wanted to go out with him.”

Caitlyn gave her a knowing smile. “If you say so.”

“I say so.”

Still smiling, Caitlyn resumed her review of the rack of clothes in front of her. Having known her since kindergarten, Misty knew it wasn’t the last she’d heard of this.

I should’ve kept my mouth shut, Misty thought with an inward sigh.

J.D.

After seeing her in person, J.D. couldn’t shake Misty from his thoughts or his dreams. Ever since he was twenty years old, he’d dreamed of the raven haired beauty with the violet eyes and sunny smile. In every one of those dreams, he called her Misty. When he overheard her friend at the restaurant say her name, he thought he was going to pass out. Though he’d always known in his heart she was real, he’d never expected to find her. Now that he had, he wasn’t sure what he should do.

The question nagged at him for days, making him distracted. When he was at work, J.D. tried to be careful not to let his thoughts drift back to Misty. If he didn’t pay attention to the customers, especially the female customers, he wouldn’t be able to work his magic. That meant he wouldn’t be able to pull down any decent tips.

At home, it was a different story. There he was quiet and contemplative. His mother noticed the distance in his voice when they’d spoken on the phone. Emily stewed over him, pulling out all the old familiar advice. Don’t work too hard. Get more rest. Eat a well balanced meal three times a day, and once more she slipped in that he needed to take more time off from work. J.D. didn’t tell his mother it wasn’t his job or his diet that weighed on him, didn’t tell her the real reason for the difference in his mood. It occurred to him that his thoughts of Misty bordered on obsessive, but he couldn’t help it. After all these years, she’d finally come into his life, which led him back to the burning question.

“What do you think I should do, Toby?” J.D. asked.

Toby looked up at him with impatience in his brown eyes almost as if to say, How the hell should I know? I’m just a dog.

J.D. reached down and scratched Toby behind the ears and patted his head. For one crazy moment, he wished he could trade places with Toby. He wished he could be the pampered pet so he didn’t have to worry about anything, especially Misty.

Jesus, man, pull yourself together, J.D. thought for what seemed the hundredth time since he’d seen Misty.

He was blowing this whole thing out of proportion, making it harder than it had to be. There was no guarantee he’d have to do anything. Maybe he wouldn’t see her again. Even as the thought crossed his mind, J.D. knew the truth. The truth was that after fifteen years, she’d finally found her way out of his dreams and in to his life. Sooner or later, he’d have to face it.