Chapter Seven

J.D.

Sunday afternoon the restaurant wasn’t busy. Lucky for J.D. since his head was still lost in clouds of Misty Freeman. God, that woman was beautiful. Those lips of hers were so soft and sweet he could kiss them forever.

            “You look like you’re a million miles away.”

“Mom!”  

            “Isn’t he the best looking waiter in the world?” Emily said as she elbowed the woman sitting next to her. “And he just happens to be my son.”

            “Stop it,” J.D. muttered, marveling over the fact that his mother could still make him feel like a little kid at thirty-five years old.

            “I can’t help the truth. I breed good stock.”

            Finally J.D. laughed. “Did you come to appraise the live stock?” he teased, suspecting there was more on her mind. “Or did you want some coffee?”

            “Coffee,” Emily agreed, and then added, “And some company.”

            “Have a seat,” J.D. suggested, gesturing to a line of empty chairs at the bar next to the cash register. While Emily took him up on his offer, J.D. retrieved an empty cup for her and filled it with coffee. “All right, Mom, what’s on your mind?”   

            “I haven’t seen you in a while.”

            “You know how it is. Work keeps me busy.”

            Emily’s eyebrows shot up. “Work?”

            “Yeah,” J.D. said and swept his arms around the restaurant. “This place can be a real zoo.”

            “A zoo?” Emily repeated, casting a doubtful look around. “Looks pretty tame to me.”

            “It’ll pick up soon.”

            As if on cue, a gaggle of young girls shuffled past him, giggling and cooing his name as they did. When J.D. responded with a casual goodbye, they giggled even harder and squealed to each other as they continued out the door.

            “A zoo indeed,” Emily agreed, and J.D. gave her a sly grin. “By the way, how’s it going with the mystery woman?”

            “I thought that’s what was on your mind,” J.D. laughed, though Emily didn’t look the least bit self-conscious at being found out. “Why didn’t you just ask?”

            “I was hoping you’d volunteer.”

            “Things are going well.”

            “How well are we talking about?”

            “Well enough that I’m going to let you meet her.”

            “This is wonderful. When do I get the honor?”

            “Soon,” was all J.D. would commit to and her face fell. “I just want to keep her to myself for a little while longer if that makes any sense.”

            “It makes perfect sense,” Emily said and leaned back in her chair with a satisfied sigh.

            “Hate to cut this short, but I’ve got some tables to wait on.”  

            “Duty calls,” Emily teased and accepted a peck on her cheek before he hurried off.