Chapter Seven

Misty:

“Seventh grade is gonna be terrible,” Misty wailed.

Because BelmontJunior High School was farther away, they had to walk to the bus stop first. From there, the bus would take them to the school.

“What do you mean?” Jason frowned.

“Six different teachers and so many people.”  

“You’ll be fine.”

“How do you know?”

“Because you’re pretty and popular.”  

“Thanks.”

They sat together on the bus, and Misty was glad she wasn’t alone. As soon as they got to school, Jason made sure she caught up with Mimi and Caitlyn before he hurried off to find the boys.

Of course Jason was right; Misty did fine at Belmont Junior High. It didn’t take long for her to settle in to a routine and feel like she belonged in junior high. The fact that she continued to be popular also helped. She was easily accepted on the cheerleading squad and was even elected to run for class president, though she lost. All of these new activities opened a world of new friends to her, but Jason was still her best friend. Sometimes it felt as though that was the only thing that didn’t change.

Both Misty and Jason underwent dramatic changes in their appearance. For Misty, her body began to curve and she suddenly had breasts. Throughout the years she’d kept her hair long, and by that time its raven tendrils reached the middle of her back. Overnight Jason seemed to grow very tall. By the end of junior high, he also had this deep voice that Misty had to learn to get used to hearing from him. Just as they’d done in elementary school, girls went after him. And just like he’d always done, Jason shied away from the attention.

Their bodies weren’t the only things that changed.  In the middle of the school year their relationship changed too.

They’d just gotten off the bus and were about to start their walk home when Jason told Misty he wanted to run into the Quick Mart. While he was inside, she waited for him outside. She hadn’t been waiting long when three older boys came out of the store. The boys gave her a funny feeling, but she tried to ignore them, hoping they’d go away soon. Instead of going away, they stopped and stared at her.

 “What are you doing all alone out here?”

He was smiling at her, but it wasn’t a friendly smile. There was something sinister about it. Misty glanced at the door, hoping Jason was coming out soon.

“Didn’t your mother teach you it’s rude to ignore people?”

As they closed in around her, Misty suddenly started to shake. She knew they could hurt her, but she hoped they wouldn’t because of all the people that were around. The problem was that no one around them seemed to be paying any attention to them.

“I’m, uh, just waiting for someone,” Misty stammered.

“Your boyfriend?” the first boy asked.

“Yes,” Misty lied.

“I could be your boyfriend,” the second boy offered  

Misty was horrified when the third boy slipped behind her and encircled her with his arms. She’d been so focused on the two talking to her that she’d forgotten there were three of them. His arms locked tight around her while the other two began to slide their hands over her body.

“Please,” she whispered when their hands brushed her breasts.

“You don’t have to beg,” the first boy laughed.

“What the hell are you doing?” Jason suddenly yelled. 

The three boys turned to face him. His face was bright red, and his eyes blazed. It was the first time Misty had seen him look like that. If she wasn’t so happy to see him, she would’ve been scared of that crazy look in his eyes.

“Is this your girlfriend?” the first boy asked.

“Yes,” Jason said and moved to shield her from them.  

“You should teach her some manners.”  

“You should leave her alone, or I’ll fucking kill you.”  

Instead of being scared of the threat, the boys laughed. That laughter seemed to cause something inside Jason to snap. In a flash, he flew at the first boy, knocking him to the ground and pouncing on his chest where he sat slinging wild blows at his face. When the other boys tried to pull him off, he turned his rage on them. Misty could only stare at him in shock. Finally the boys had enough, and they took off running down the street.

The moment they were gone, Jason turned to face her with concern in his eyes. 

“Are you okay?”

Embarrassment made her afraid to meet his eyes, and she nodded in response. As they walked home in silence, Jason kept a protective arm around her shoulder. They were only a block from home when Misty stopped walking and turned to face him.

“Jase, please don’t tell my parents what happened. I just know they’ll think it’s my fault.”

“It wasn’t your fault.”

“I know you don’t understand, but please don’t tell them. Please.”

“I won’t tell Miss, but it wasn’t your fault. It was mine.”

“What?” 

“I’m sorry I took so long in the store. I’ll never let anyone hurt you again.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re my best friend, and we stick together.”

“Oh.”

            “From now on when we leave school, you don’t leave my side.”  

            “Okay.”

            “No matter what, I’ll keep you safe,” Jason assured her, and finally Misty offered him a grateful smile.

After what happened at the Quick Mart, Jason made sure he stuck closer to Misty than he ever had before. No matter where she went after school, he was there. Even if she had cheerleading practice he waited for her, keeping a close eye out.

It was after Jason saved her at the store that Misty began to think of him differently. After knowing him for almost four years, it suddenly occurred to her just how cute he really was. For the first time, she wondered if there could be something more than friendship between them. The thoughts were fleeting though because she wasn’t ready to admit them even to herself, let alone tell Jason what she was feeling.