01

Why is it so hard to forgive; they asked me once.

Honestly, it was not. It is not hard to forgive; it is forgetting that is hard to do.

It's really hard to just forget what hurt you most. It was never easy to just ignore what scars your being; to ignore what questions your credibility to be told the truth.

And like what they say, we can forgive, but never can forget; regardless of how big or small that mistake is, if it hurts you and betrays your trust, forgetting is really impossible. Especially, when it was the person you trusted the most that broke you and turned you to be 'heartless.'

In a year, everything could happen; changes will always occur. We couldn't tell what was going to happen and we had no choice but go with the flow.

Life is simply like that.

Not everything you slept with last night has a guarantee to be with you the next morning you wake up.

That's the reality we have to accept; whether we like it or not, that's the reality.

"You're so uptight, Jia. You should loosen up," Hansel said after handing me a cup of coffee. Black coffee, my favorite.

"I have deadlines to attend to, Hans." I simply answered.

Hans is my best friend. He was the only person who picked me up when I was a total mess and broken into pieces. He helped me stand, while those people who call themselves my friends left me in the time where I need them most.

"You were always chasing your deadlines, when we both know that there's actually no deadlines to chase," he said in a matter-of-fact tone. "You are always ahead of your deadlines, I know. You can't reason that out to me anymore." He added.

I sighed.

"You know how demanding my work is. One mistake could lead me to a complicated situation, and you know how much I hate that." I reasoned.

I'm a marketing manager in a manufacturing company that manufactures different kinds of bags of different brands; it was a made to order from a foreign buyer. And through them, our products are going to market in different countries.

Kaya kailangan kong tutukang maigi ang paggawa ng bawat produkto, dahil isang mali lamang ang makita ng buyers ay malaking abala na agad iyon sa produksyon.

"Your work doesn't demand you as much as you think. It was only you who willingly gave your all, always. Kaya ka nasasaktan lagi," he whispered his last words but it clearly came to me.

I stared at him. Ito na naman s'ya; stepping out of his limits.

"What I am trying to say is, have a break. Loosen up. Go on a vacation." He said again after seeing my reaction.

"I don't have time," I answered.

"Yes, you do have," he insists.

"I'm busy, Hans."

"It was only you that thinks that you are busy."

"Hansel, please." I pleaded, not wanting to argue more.

Ayaw ko nang pagtalunan pa ang bagay na ito. Hindi na dapat, sa totoo lang.

He took a deep breath. I know where this is going.

"How long are you going to make your life miserable? You have been stuck at that phase, Jianna. It has been a year. Move on." He then blurted.

I stood from my seat. "Enough, Hansel!" I composed myself; trying really hard not to explode.

"You tell that to yourself," he breathed.

"You don't know anything," I said but he just smirked.

"I'll talk to Mikael. I'll ask him for a vacation leave," he pulled off of his seat. Lumabas na siya ng aking opisina, nakita ko ang pag diretso n'ya sa katapat na opisina ng aming plant manager mula sa glass door ng aking office. And with that, I was set on a vacation leave. And it was the middle of the week, just where the fuck I'll go?

"Where are you fucker?" I tried not to yell at Hans over the phone.

"Office," all that he replies.

"What?" I yelled. I can't help but to. This fucker set me on this vacation while him? What a jerk?

"Office, I said." He repeated.

"I heard you fucker!" I shouted. "You set me up on this vacation while you, fucking asshole—," he cut me.

"Wordings, Jia. Kababae mong tao, kung ano-anong lumalabas dyan sa bibig mo." ." He said and I can imagine him rolling his eyes. 

Pero kahit na, galit parin ako sa pangingialam n'ya!

"Bwesit ka! Kung hindi ka kasi pakialemerong panget ka, edi sana hindi kita tinatalakan ngayon!

"You need that," he answered.

"I know what I need. You didn't have to decide for me!"

"I wish you really did," he said. "Enjoy your vacation instead, Jianna. Isang taon ka na rin nilang 'di nakikita. Your parents are already worried. Pagbigyan mo na sila kahit ngayon lang," dagdag pa n'ya.

"I hate you!"

"Sure, you do," he answered. "Just call me if there's a problem. Have fun." He said before hanging up.

I was cursing him through my whole drive to Bataan. I have nothing to go to in the middle of the week so I just decided to just come home.

It was only a 3 hours' drive to Bataan, and entering its boundary brought me so many memories; bittersweet memories.

From Dinalupihan, the first town of Bataan, I had to travel another one hour to my home town. Mariveles is the last of eleven towns in Bataan. It was located at the tail of the province; it was a combination of mountains and seashores.

"Hello, Ma?" I picked up my phone after three rings.

My mother is calling me.

"Saan ka na, anak?" Mama asked. Hans probably told her about my home coming.

"Sa Balanga pa lang po Ma. May gusto ba kayong ipabili?" I answered.

"Pizza, Ate!" I heard my brother shout in the background.

"Tumigal ka nga. Pahihirapan mo pa ang ate mo."

"Hindi naman mahirap 'yon, madadaanan naman niya 'yon."

"Kahit na. Imbis na diretso na siya dito."

"Okay lang, Ma. Ilang box ba?'' I butted in.

"Dalawa, Ate."

"'Yon lang ba?" I asked. I know my brother; he'll grab every opportunity he gets.

"Wala na anak, iyon lang. Saka anak, anong gusto mong ulam? Hindi ka kasi nagsabi na uuwi ka, hindi tuloy ako nakapag luto." Mama apologetically said.

"Biglaan lang po kasi, Mama. Kahit ano na lang po ang nandyan, ayos lang."

"Hindi. Ipagluluto na lang kita, ano bang gusto mo? May pang kare-kare at Kaldereta ako rito," Mama insists.

"Sinigang na lang po, Ma." I said instead.

"Ay, sige. Mag ingat ka sa pag d-drive huh?"

"Opo," I said before putting down the line.

Buti na lamang at hindi pa ako nakakalabas ng Balanga at may Mall pa akong madadaan kaya hindi ko na kailangang mag U-turn pabalik ng Centro. I turned right at the entrance of the Mall at dumiretso sa parking.

And by looking at this place and remembering all the memories this place brought, I know that I am in danger. My heart is in danger again.