Ditched

Wow, that was an amazing kiss. It feels right. And I stole her popcorn. She’s so..warm and nice like a bear...exploding with love just waiting to be hugged. I want her to stop cutting so bad. I hate to see anyone cut themselves because of the stupid things the world shove at them. I lean to hug her but I accidentally knock her drink over her. God this is embarrassing. “Oh um, I’m sorry,” I say. She gives me a You-Punk-Can-You-Not-See-The-Drink look and says “Shit. I’ll go to the toilet. I need to wash my hands. They’re sticky with popcorn.” I watch her walk out of the theatre and I catch a man with a camera sitting in the row across us. It’s the paparazzi. He gives me a smirk and ran off. I have to run after him. “Hey you! Stop!” He stops, turns around and says, “These pictures are going to shatter a million hearts. You made out with a fan. You could have done better though. There’s so many other girls...” I glare at him with eyes filled with rage. He starts taunting me saying, “Aww little GreyGrey is angry that papawazzi mwan talked down on his wee little taste.” I can’t stand it...

***

When I get back from the ladies, Greyson isn’t in his seat... I guess that was it. It’s over. Our friendship. I mean why would someone like him kiss me? I feel so small because I got ditched so bad by a boy who just ate my face. And so cold because of the stupid ass drink he spilled all over me. Good thing I’m wearing a black tee under a hoodie.I take my hoodie off and walk out of the theatre. I’m out of his life, and he’ll be outta mine. I just didn’t know why he’d run away. Maybe he went to the toilet too? I wait. 10 Minutes. 30 minutes. The movie ends. He ditched me. I walk out and call my brother. Then I notice a paparazzi. No, it isn’t just one. It is like a mob of them. Flashes from cameras blind my eyes, people are asking me so many questions. Good thing I have my cap to pull over my face. The last thing I want is to be known as the girl Greyson Chance ditched. I yell, “MOVE” and run. I run faster than ever before. I run out of the mall. Out of Greyson’s life. Then I see the paparazzi who took pics of me and Greyson when we are getting tickets to the movie. I saw a boy’s silhouette.

“GIVE. THAT. TO. ME.” I hear. It’s Greyson. I run to the limo and get the driver to go help Greyson. He didn’t ditch me after all! He’s just trying to get the pictures of us back from the paparazzi.  I mean, he wouldn’t want to let the world know about kissing an ordinary girl. Then it hit me. He didn’t want us to be...an ’us’. I feel hurt but hey, I’m a girl lucky enough to smooch a star so I’ll suck it up. Greyson’s driver gets the camera from the paparazzi. I’m hiding behind a dustbin all along so that the other paparazzis won’t catch me. I think they were looking for me at the other end of the mall. “Greyson! What happened? Why was Ira running out of the mall like a cheetah was chasing her to eat her? What did you do? You didn’t hurt her did you? She’s just an innocent kid.” said the driver Tom. I am kinda glad someone is concerned about me. It’s 12.15 am. Idiot hasn’t called. But I had a text on my phone from my mum saying she’s going to sleep so me and Idiot better come home soon. I am dead tired from the running. “I didn’t do anything to her. I got carried away. I..I kissed her.” I hear Greyson say. “She’s a great girl. A keeper.She’s no gold digger or anything...” Tom is saying as I’m mentally wishing Idiot could be more like that. “You don’t get it. If the paparazzi have evidence, it’ll ruin her life. I think... I love her too much to let that happen,” says Greyson. I am shocked beyond words and overwhelmed. Not only by Greyson’s words but also the stench from the bin. Eugh. “That’s great. Now we have to find your girl.” Tom is saying. Your girl? Wow. That is hella cool. I’m someone’s girl besides my dad’s. I stay behind the bin. I didn’t want to make it seem like I’m  listening to the whole convo. Though I am. Hehe. They eventually find me. Yes it’s not hard to find a girl next to a dustbin wearing neon green kicks with neon orange laces.”Heyo. I just had the best workout of my life,” I say sheepishly, trying hard to not make my eavesdropping adventures obvious. Grey helps me out and stares into my eyes with genuine concern as he asks if I’m okay. I nod back. He puts his jacket over me and leads me to the limo. Tom flashes a huge smile at me. I smile my biggest back to him. “No smiles for me?” asks Greyson as he gives me the cutest puppy dog eyes ever. I give him my best troll face and hops into the limo. I’m dead meat but my heart’s way too excited. I tell Greyson how I thought he ditched me when I went to the toilet and I had to run away from the paparazzi before they could get any good shots of my adorable face. Hey, it’s not so awkward anymore. He just smiles and says he’d never ditch me. Wow. Way to go again at making things awkward Mr G I think as I smile back. It’s kinda weird and quiet till we get to the hotel. 12.55am. Idiot’s standing outside the hotel parking his borrowed motorcycle as he waves his friends goodbye. Perfect timing.

I need some time alone with Ira. I look at her brother awkwardly. He completely understands and tells Ira to pass me my jacket and he goes into the hotel to wait for his her. This is my chance. “Ira, wait, before taking off the jacket, I want to tell you, the kiss in the theatre is my fault. I’m sorry I almost put your whole freedom on the line. Please don’t let it affect what we have.” Well,what did we have? I think. “Meet you back at the lobby at 10 again tomorrow?” I say. “Sure and don’t worry, I was rather impressed at my speedy running,” She says and flashes a wink at me. That’s so cute. I lean forward, pull her closer to me and plant a kiss on her lips and then her forehead. I hold her hands and say, “I love you. Don’t cut. When you feel depressed, tell me, I’ll help you. I’ll walk you to your brother.”  I feel like a huge rock is being lifted off my chest. I just confessed my feelings. She looks shock. Her brother is giving me a thumbs up from the hotel lobby through the glass windows. He seems cool. Before we parted ways, she gives me a hug and says goodnight and gave me a shy smile while blushing. I can’t stop blushing too.  After she starts walking towards the lift with my jacket still on, which looks good on her, her brother comes up to me and says, “Way to go Lil’ Man. Didn’t know you had a... MAN in ya. Lead her on, she loves you too bruh,”  he says and walks away. He IS cool. Thanks to him, me and Ira can hang out and he approves of me, I guess. I blush again as Ira flashes me her brilliant smile and gets into the lift. A warm, fuzzy feeling, that kind of feeling you get when you finally finish your homework or when everything finally falls into place, settles in me. I walk away, smiling, until I realise that I DO live here. For the time being. Sheepishly, I walk back to the lift, thanking god silently that there’s hardly people around to see me.

                                                    *                   *                   *

Wow. I can’t sleep tonight. I think Greyson just confessed to me. Wow. I just lay in my bed as my idiot brother  takes his late night shower before sleeping. “The man can lead ya. He seems good. But if he does anything to you, he’s minced meat and I have no idea what minced meat even is.” I hear my brother say. I want to hug him right now. I feel glad to know he’s there for me. I fall asleep in Greyson’s jacket. I can’t wait for tomorrow. I hope this trip never ends.