Finding You In The Rain

The crowd is cheering and my ears are ringing. I look into the dressing mirror, have a prep talk with myself, gulp down some water, then check my watch. It's 7.55pm. I'm feeling a bit dizzy with all the cheering. Despite performing in front of large audiences countless times, I always feel dizzy. My manager, Troy Carter, pokes his head into the dressing room. "Greyson, you ok?" He smiles warmly at me. I smile back and ask, "Can I go out for a while? I think I need some fresh air. Feeling just a lil' dizzy." 

"But it looks like it's going to rain!" Troy asks.

"I'll come back quick enough before it does," I laugh. 

"You sure, kiddo? Bring along an umbrella to be safe, " Troy smiles at me one last time before he leaves.

I will need some disguises before I go out. I love my fans and am glad to met them, but this time, I need some time alone to clear my thoughts. I wear a long thick jacket and put on a pair of shades and a hat before slipping away quietly to the back alleyway outside the concert hall. 

Ahhhh, this feels much better, I think. The air's cold but my mind is starting to clear up a little. Just as Troy had said, the sky IS darkening and a cool breeze is blowing. I keep walking to the entrance and  see that many people are still struggling to enter the concert hall. I turn the other way before any one of them spots me despite my disguise. I walk back and rest the steps, closing my eyes and breathing in the fresh air. 

It has been ten minutes. The rain hasn't come yet but it seems the first drops will come anytime soon. I decide to walk around a little more before returning to the dressing room. It starts to rain and it seems that everyone has already entered the concert hall. Good. I don't want any of them to miss the concert or get caught in the rain. However, just as I am about to rush back, I spot a girl trying to force the door open. The security guard isn't there and it's raining heavily now. She's wearing a red and black checkered hoodie, dark blue jeans, green converse shoes and drenched from head to toe. Her shoulders are hunched and she looks like she's crying. Curious, I walk towards her, wondering what had happened.

In her hand is a piece of wet and soggy ticket to this concert and I can see tears rolling down her cheeks, along with the raindrops. Her long hair is wet and she's sobbing. I tap her shoulder. She looks up at me with surprise and suspicion in her eyes.

"Hey... you shouldn't be standing here in the rain. Come, let's go inside!" I tell her. She nods, biting her soft pink lips and shivering. I feel sorry for her and I quickly took off my jacket and gently put it on her. 

"Here... put it on. You'll feel warmer," I assure her gently. I held her hand as I look into her eyes. They were dark brown and sparking because of the tears she had shed. I run to the back alleyway with her and then bang on the door, squinting my eyes. 

Troy happens to open the door. 

"Greyson? You're still in the rain? Hurry inside!" With a look of shock on his face, Troy sort of 'welcomes' me in. 

"Sorry Troy, she was locked out in the rain. I had to help her, " I turn towards the girl, who has a look of complete shock and excitement written all over her face. Her lips quiver as she tries to find the words stuck in her throat.

"Are you... are you...Gr-r-ey-son... C-C-Chance?" She asks with a wild look in her sparkling eyes. I don't know if she stuttered because she is cold or she just couldn't believe what she's seeing and hearing.

"Yeah. Hi, uhhh.... your name?" I smile at her and ask.

"I-I-I'm... Ira..." She manages to get the words out.

I smile again and ask, "Hey Ira. You ok? Want some hot chocolate?"

She nods before she looks down on the ground shyly, however I can catch the big grin that is spreading across her face. Troy asked a crewmember to get Ira changed and dry before dragging me somewhere out of her earshot.

"Greyson, who is she?" He asks, clearly puzzled. 

"Um.. Ira?" I ask, confused.

"No, I mean, what happened? How do you know her?" He asks again.

"Oh, I found her outside the entrance. She was locked out I guess and there was no guard. She was crying, so I brought her inside," I explain. 

"That's really nice of you Greyson! But you're drenched. Anyway, I'll ask someone to get you changed into warmer clothes. Madison, come here! Get Greyson changed please. Lucky you aren't in your concert clothes yet," Troy chuckles. 

"Look, umm, I'm sorry I didn't bring an umbrella like you said," I smile sheepishly at Troy.

"Naw, it's okay. As long as you're okay," Troy starts to turn and leave. 

"Wait! Can we let Ira watch the concert backstage?" I ask. 

"Well, sure! You can go ask her, she'll be surprised. Now I have to go tell Mindless Behaviour to get ready. The crowd has been waiting long enough." Troy messes up my hair and walks away. 

Madison comes scurrying over to me with a worried look on her face, asking me if I was okay. Madison is my stylist. She's a 20 year old blonde, a little taller than me, and is very caring, treating me like a brother. I tell Madison the story and she rushes me off to blow dry my hair and get me new clothes. She wraps me in a new warm jacket before patting me on the head and handing me a cup of hot warm tea.

Guy Oseary enters the dressing room and sits down on the sofa beside me. I open my mouth to speak but he stops me.

"Greyson, I heard the story. So anyway, that was nice of you to do that. Turns out that the security guard had to rush everyone inside before it starts to rain inside, so he didn't see, uh, who was that, ah Ira, your new friend," Guy explains. 

"She was locked out and crying. Lucky I was outside to help her," I say as I sip some of the tea, which turns out to be jasmine, my favourite.

"That's so you. Kind-hearted and trying to help as much as you can," Guy shoots me a kind look before adding, "Hey, wanna meet your new friend?"

Guy leads me to another room where I find Ira, wearing a Mindless Behavour T-shirt and a pair of bright orange jeans. Her face turns beet red as she looks down again, biting her lip. Somehow, I can't take my eyes off her when she does that. It seems kinda...cute.  

Jackie, one of the crew members with spiky short hair, tell Guy, "Gave her a free Mindless Behaviour T-shirt. The pants are extras from the costume department." 

"Hey Ira, so you feeling better now? Sorry that you were locked outside, but thanks for coming to the concert. By the way, I have a surprise for you," I say.

Ira looks up at me and bites her lip harder this time, her face full of excitement and glee. 

I look at Guy before saying, "We're gonna let you watch the concert backstage."

I look at Ira, hoping to see her surprised and excited face. As expected, her jaw drops as she widens her eyes. 

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Ira stands up and almost hugs me, but she restrains herself at the last minute. 

Guy looks at me and smiles. I smile back. 

"Well Ira, come. I'll bring you backstage. You didn't miss out much and get ready to have some fun!"