Chapter 24

A group of women appeared out of every corner. Their red eyes stared intensely at us. Then one of them opened her palm and blew a black powder, which swirled like snakes into the air, circling around the room. Atith coughed and choked.

"Poison!" Ravi cried and thrust her hands outward. The poison dispersed.

"Careful, these are Chedipes, the blood-drinking undead witches!" Vorac cried out a warning.

We held our breaths. Tusita was to step into the battle when Vorac stopped her.

"Do not use your bow here or we might as well be trapped inside," she said. "Let us get Nikita out first."

But the other witches soon surrounded us, blocking the doorway. Vorac shot three arrows. Each plunged into the witches' hearts. The rest leaped out of the way. Their movements were like graceful leopards. Then we saw them morphed into beasts. Their faces elongated with a jaw full of wolf-like teeth. Their bodies grew shaggy hair with eyes glowed like embers.

They let out a bloodthirsty roar and charged at us. Atith jumped out and slashed his spear in a wide arch to ward them off. Yet they kept coming back.

Tusita and Ravi helped me off the floor. I winced as the pain shot through my body.

"Hold fast to us, Nikita, we need to get you out of here," Tusita said. I bit my lips and nodded.

The witches in the form of wild jaguars leaped at Atith's gleaming shield. One of them snapped her enormous jaw at his throat. Atith pushed her back, but two more came from both sides. Fortunately, they could not wound his armored body.

"Go!" he cried. "I'm holding them off."

Outside, a giant beast the size of a bear stood in the doorway. It had the head of a hare and a skeleton-like body. Its badger paws extended knife-like claws ready to slash us to pieces as it sprang forward. Vorac struck the animal with an arrow into its head, but it did not stop.

"Iron-skulled beast!" she muttered and shot another arrow, which pierced its woolly shoulder. The beast roared yet still kept advancing. We staggered back with a gasp.

Vorac swiftly drew her dart one after another until the massive mammal was pierced with her arrows like a porcupine. To our great relief, the demonic beast faltered at last and collapsed to the floor with a loud thump in front of us. Its body began to disintegrate.

"Leave now!" Vorac cried.

Tusita and Ravi then half-dragged and half-carried me along with them. We stumbled back into the tunnel passage.

"Atith..." I gasped.

"Don't worry, he's coming soon," Tusita reassured me. But I still did not see him getting out of the blackened room. Then we heard a throaty laughter like thunders through the palace walls.

"O Prophesied One," the steel-like voice roared. "You have come so far for your beloved wife, but she shall tear her cheeks with grief and your mother shall be childless. Here you will die, reddening the ground with your blood in my palace. Here you will rot, and vultures will gather around your bones and all your friends will follow you!"

The words burned me with rage. I temporarily forgot the pain and tried to wrench myself out of my friends' grasp.

"You worthless coward!" I cried to the unseen enemy. "Come out and fight me in a single combat if you dare!"

"Nikita, don't," Vorac tried to calm me. The voice laughed again.

"You are wounded but vain. Surely your life shall be drained in mere hours; you must instead prepare yourself for death!"