Chapter 7

Attendants went about the chamber after they had bathed and anointed me. Now the serpent maidens were folding and tying garments around my body. I didn't know what they were doing until they were done.

Each piece of silk fabric had been arranged in the most cautious manner. When the maids had finished dressing me, they walked me outside. Tusita, Samudra, and Atith sat waiting in another room. They, too, looked refined in their ceremonial attire. They were now the wedding guests.

My friends were all giggly as I walked down the hallway. I didn't know what they were thinking.

"You look splendid, Nikita," Tusita said as though she could hear my mind. "We must hurry since those serpent ladies are drooling over you. I'm afraid they might snatch you away to have their wicked will with any time soon."

I blushed at her teasing words and regarded the notion warily.

"Aw Tusita, stop scaring us," Atith said. "They are not always the seductresses. Now our dear friend is about to marry her beloved. You should be gleeful."

Then the women formed two rows beside us like a parade. They each held trays of exotic fruits and fragrant flowers and other ritual items. Two large male serpent guards stood holding multi-tier sunshades over me.

"What are these for? To protect me from the sun or the rain in here?" I said.

The avatars laughed.

"It is a custom," Tusita said. "Now you're a royal."

A moment later, they paraded us to the wedding hall. I heard beautiful music playing. Then there was an announcement of our arrival.

Once I stepped into the throne room, there was an immediate silence. Everything looked so different from earlier. There was now an outlandish decoration in all corners. The rich tapestries and flower garlands were hung on every wall and pillar. It was hard to believe we had just had a battle in this very place a while ago. My mind was still trying to grasp the whirlwind of all these changes.

We saw the Naga King himself standing by his throne. He was in his glamorous royal attire, still stern and proud befitting the Lord of the Serpent Kingdom.

We bowed to him.

The priests in white rob came to escort me. To my surprise, I was brought to sit on the great pearly seat of the King. The music started again with the drums and gongs and various flutes in their harmonious tones. This signaled the start of the ceremony.

A moment passed, Amarisa was also escorted into the hall by her maidens. She was breathtakingly adorned in a sumptuous wedding dress of embroidered silk and intricate jewelry. The costume was folded cleverly to fit her shapely shoulders and the swell of her supple breasts.

A small pointed crown showing a crested Nagahead fastened to the bun of her hair. Her long flowing hem dragged across the hall as she passed the gathering crowd. Everyone looked in admiration of her beauty and radiance. Deep in the celestial serpent world, Amarisa looked far more dainty and lovelier than any time I had ever seen her.

The attendants bowed, offering their blessings.

The princess was then brought to sit by my side. Her cheeks were burnished with lotus pollen to make them pink and lovely. I glanced shyly at her clearest of complexion and shapeliness. The epitome of her glamor made it hard for me to fathom my fortune tonight. It was still a tremendous shock that we were indeed being wedded to one another.

The priests placed the garland of jasmines around our necks. As we both sat in our poised silence, Amerisa's tapered fingers twisted nervously on her lap.