Chapter 14

Moths danced over the flickering flames, casting shadows against the canvas walls. Amarisa had gone for her bath. Kesar helped her disguise so that no one could recognize her.

When my beloved wife returned to the tent, I swaddled the crystal stone in a silk cloth. Then I locked it inside a wooden chest. Amarisa called out to me.

"Nikita?"

"Yes?" I said.

"What are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to come to bed with me," I said with a smile. Amarisa beamed shyly. Her eyes shimmered under the lantern light. She sat down beside me. But her eyes narrowed on my face. I saw her mind working, fitting tiles into a picture of suspicion.

"Are you alright?" Her gaze found mine as she spoke. "You seem quite agitated."

"I'm fine, love," I said with a shake of my head. "I'm just thinking about the war."

She put her soft palm to my cheek and kissed my forehead.

"Believe me, I do understand what's been taunting you after the moon god left."

My hands gathered her body to me, and we held each other with scrupulous caressing.

"You mean more than anything on earth and heaven to me," I whispered. "Nothing would change that, not even time itself."

Amarisa nodded with a smile.

"And I love you equal to the number of scales that I have," Amarisa replied softly.

"You have scales?" I asked which caused the princess to laugh in mirth.

"No, but in my past life I did, didn't I?" she giggled again.

"What a tease!" I tickled her bare belly. She let out a yelp and covered her mouth.

"Nikita, stop!" she said. "You don't want people to hear us."

"Then we should be very quiet," I said then narrowed my gaze to her plump lips. "Let me shut this mouth for you."

She pinched me gently then without another word, we rose and went over to our bed.

Lips locked and breathed thick with passion, we explored each other's heated skin. Amarisa encircled her lovely limbs around the length of my body as I did hers. The silken softness of her tongue fought against my own. I felt myself trembling at the sweet heavy wetness between those shapely legs. Amidst our muffled moans and whimpers, I thought I heard a sound of someone's retreating footstep. I turned, but there was nobody there. My mind was too foggy with excitement. It must have been my imagination.

I buried my face into Amarisa's soft firm breasts and slipped my desire into that beckoning warmth within her. And there by ourselves, we took our pleasure of one another in the way of love until a slow climbing spasm moved through us.

After the blissful fire died down, we lay breathless and satiated in the circle of our embrace, both savoring the pure joy that still lingered in our bodies. I stroked Amarisa's blushed cheek. She closed eyes and sighed softly.

It was easy in those moments, to pretend that the war had not yet begun.

But the calmness wasn't long when I awoke again to the screaming voices and rushing feet outside. Something was wrong. I threw back my blanket and got dressed. My first thought was we were under a surprise attack from the enemy.

"What's happening?" Amarisa asked, getting up to look at me.

"Amarisa, stay in the camp and don't go anywhere," I told her. Amarisa stood speechless as I dashed out of the tent.