Chapter 23

We skirted around the dark palace looking for an entrance. Ravi and Atith led the way. We found a heap of broken mountain rocks, which the demons had used to build their hive-like palace. The rubble piled against the wall below a dark corridor with no sentries.

"This can bring us halfway there," said Vorac thoughtfully and turned to me. "But we will have to climb the rest, Nikita."

"Geez, we should have brought a rope," Atith said.

I knew it would be the case.

"I do have a rope with me," I told them. The avatars gave me a relieved look. Then we started towards the heap together.

"Give me it to me, Nikita," Vorac said, and I pulled the rope from my bag.

She tied one end of it to her arrow and notched it to her bow. Then she took a high aim. I didn't know how she could do it, but Vorac expertly shot the arrow against the stone wall in a calculated angle that the arrow clinked and crocheted back, wrapping the rope around one of the pillars until it lost its momentum.

"The gods bless you!" Tusita gasped. "You're truly the best archeress the world's ever seen!"

"Took you long enough to admit that," Vorac said as she tugged the end of the rope to make sure it was secure. Then we got moving. Atith climbed the rubble first then Tusita and Vorac. I went after them while Ravi stood guarding the ground.

When I neared the top of the rubble, my hands felt raw as they tightened around the rope, but there was no time to waste.

I pushed forward. Suddenly I heard voices from the ground.

"Hurry, Nikita," Atith whispered. He had gotten hold of the rope and tried to haul me up, but a chunk of rock under my feet rolled off. A few stones began to come loose beneath me. Ravi jumped forward and thrust her hands out. A gust of wind picked up the fallen rocks before they hit the ground then she whirled her body and hurled them all into the night sky.

We all let out a sigh of relief. After I was pulled over the corridor, Ravi followed afterward. She needed nothing to aid her. With just two leaps of her light feet, she was with us.

"Let's go," she said, and we did without saying another word.

We crept into the palace through a window. Along the deserted hallway, fire torches were burning. Then we heard the guards before we saw them. There was also a distinctive insect-like chittering with a click-clack of lobster claws on the stone floor. It was dark and hard to tell what kind of beast it was.

Tusita held up her hand to stop us from moving further. We hide behind a pillar as at least five demons appeared. They were familiar greys —large body and small heads with enormous jet-black eyes. I knew at once what they were — man-eaters, Rakshasas. We had battled with them before.

Four of them were male and one female. The female demon was thin and human-size but she had impossibly long fingernails, which glinted like black knives when she steered her mount, the monstrous giant insect. The others walked ahead of her.

"We need to get that one," whispered Tusita.

"Have you lost your mind?" Atith said in a low hiss. "All we need is keep moving. If they see us and rally their mates, we will be in trouble."

"And where are we moving to if we don't know where to go?" she said. "We need to find tidings of the princess."

"I agree," Ravi said. "The quicker the better."

The demons were turning to another corridor, and we followed them.

"Give me the rope, Nikita," Tusita said and I handed it to her. She looped it into a lasso. "I will catch the Rakshasi, and all of you, except for Nikita, can silence the others."