Chapter 15

The council of kings had appealed to our Oracle to make an astronomical prediction.

His red glowing eyes gleamed over the sandboard. Then the Hora informed us of the forthcoming eclipse that would fall on the next fourteenth days.

'Darkness rules the heaven dome,

all light banished from the sky.

Old fear and malice roam,

the rise of anguished cries.'

The prophecy had caused a wave of panic. We were also warned by the Guru that we couldn't defeat the demon in an open battle.

"Rahu is too powerful," he said. "A rogue planet in the astronomy, he can bring imbalance to the whole creation. In the past, he could only be slain by Mohini, the female avatar of Lord Vishnu."

"Then what do you suggest we do?"

Sambo presented a different strategy, which required the help of the monkey king.

"We shall wait until Rahu orders his black stallions to clash against Chandra's," the Guru said. "As soon as the eclipse happens, you must snatch the moment to chop off the demon's head."

"So you mean to use my father as bait?" Vorac said.

"We all know the moon god won't stand a chance against that hideous demon," Issarak said, making her glare back.

The Queen turned to the monkey king.

"Lord Hanuman, as you can see we are terrorized by the rising demon," she spoke humbly. "It is our great fortune to have your protection. I believe you're the one who can truly help us avoid this horrid doom."

"Devoted Queen, I am only here to guide the holy children," Hanuman replied. "The Lord of Destiny has assigned a more suitable defender than me."

Then one of the kings spoke up.

"But you're the most powerful among us!" he said. "You once rescued the Navagraha, the imperial stars of heavens, from Ravana's persecution. They were ever grateful to you and bestowed upon you the blessing that could weaken Rahu only with your presence alone!"

"Dear kingly man, the gods are forbidden to fight in the mortal war," Hanuman said and then turned his face to us. "Let the task be carried by the new generation of warriors. The Slayer of Rahu is right in front of you, and you shall look no more."

The other kings shared a perplexed expression on their faces. Then they glanced at me with doubtful eyes.

"Could she possibly do it?" they whispered. "How could she be able to conquer him with that small limbs and delicate looks?"

"Have you been blind all long? The answer is obvious. She is the one," Tusita spoke in irritation as she pointed her finger at me. "You must have more faith in the Prophesied One as the Great Lord has deemed her so."

All murmurs ceased as their attentions were drawn to me again. Something told me I must reassure those royal men with my oath.

"I promise you, great kings, I will slay Rahu and free the moon."

"Yes, she has the Moonsword," someone said. "She must be the one to destroy the demon."

They all nodded in approval.

"If it is as the gods already planned," the King spoke for the first time. "We will pray for you and wish you a perfect victory."

My mother-in-law added with a humble bow. It surprised me to see her showing such reverence. Her husband and other royalties followed her example, perhaps being the one to shoulder the burden of saving the whole realm had earned me this much respect.