Chapter seven

Liam's POV

I was worried sick. It was after eleven at night and Harry still hadn't brought my sister home yet. Now, pacing back and forth in the living room, I attempted to call Harry.

Hey, you've reached Harry Styles! sorry I missed your call mate, leave a message and I'll get back to you ASAP.

I angrily tossed my phone on the couch. Where the hell were they? And what were they doing?

If Harry slept with my sister I swear to god.....

Suddenly the door opened. I heard Harry's deep voice and Lena's light American one floating across the apartment. I stormed into the kitchen.

"Where have you two been?!?" I demanded.

Lena looked at me, confused. "We were out in London." she said.

"Past eleven fucking thirty at night?!" I asked.

Her eyes widened. "It's that late?" she asked.

"Don't you have a clock?"

"You took my phone!"

"That's no excuse!"

"How so?"

"I expect this from you Harry. But Lena? I thought you were better than that." I said.

My sisters light brown eyes went dark. "You've known my name for two days, Liam." She snapped. "Don't you dare tell me what you expect of me. You don't even know who I am."

"You're my baby sister and my responsibility!" I yelled.

"I'm not just your baby sister!!!" she screamed. "There's more to me than being Liam fucking Payne's sister!"

"Enough Lena! There's no point in being dramatic!" I yelled.

"Stop telling me what to do!"

"I'm your guardian!"

"That doesn't mean I have to do what you say!"

"Yes it does!"

"No it fucking doesnt!"

"Watch your mouth and yes it does!"

"No it doesn't. Watch."

Lena grabbed her jacket and threw the door open. "Bye Liam!" she yelled. And then she walked out.

"Lena Cooper! Don't you dare!" I yelled.

"Watch me you dick!" she screamed. She was walking away towards the street.

"Lena!" I cried. She ignored me. I started after her, but Harry caught my arm.

"Let her go, Liam. She won't listen to you while she's this mad at you." he said.

I shoved him off. "This is your fault!" I yelled.

"Liam, you do realize it's only ten thirty, right? You forgot to change your clock after daylight savings time. There was no reason to worry about her." Harry said.

I suddenly realized he was completely right. "Oh, shit." I muttered.

"And are you crazy? After the way Lena talked to Karen today you yell at her? You're lucky she only walked away." Harry added.

I ran my hand over my face. "Send Zayn after her, will you? You're right. She won't listen to me." I said.

"I'll just go after her-" he started.

"No, send Zayn. She trusts him." I said.

Frowning, Harry went to get Zayn.

Lena's POV

I had no clue where I was going. But I honestly didn't give a fuck. Anywhere away from my dick of a brother was good enough for me.

I eventually got so lost I just sat on a bench and watched the river. I missed my parents, and Kathryn. I missed my life. I didn't belong here.

Suddenly someone sat beside me. "In all honesty, I didn't think I'd ever see Lena Cooper again." he said.

I turned. "Alan?!" I asked.

Alan smiled. "Hey, Lena." He said.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well, I'm moving here. For college." he said.

"Oh my god! That's amazing!" I said.

"You know what would be more amazing?"

"What?"

"If my Lena gave me a hug."

It had been so long since he'd called me that. I hugged him, and I'd say we hung on much longer than needed, but I didn't care.

We pulled away. "What are you doing out here all alone so late?" he asked.

"Got in a fight with Liam. Needed to walk. And then I got lost." I said.

Alan smiled. "And I'm assuming you didn't wanna be found?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Not by Liam." I said.

"What was the fight about?"

And so I told him how Liam had been way too overbearing and protective since I'd come here.

"Damn," Alan said when I finished.

"I know." I agreed. We sat in silence for a moment.

"So, did you at least have a good time with Harry?" he asked. Like Harry's had earlier, Alan's tone changed when he asked about the other boy.

"Yeah. We had a pretty good time." I said. He nodded.

"So is that like a thing now? You and Harry, I mean?" he asked.

"Are you kidding? We just met!" I exclaimed.

"Yeah but he's Harry Styles." Alan said.

"He's just a guy. Like you are. like Liam is." I said.

"I am a man! Not a guy!" he argued.

"Riiiight." I joked. He laughed. We talked for awhile longer when Alan offered to help me find my way home. I shook my head, telling him I'd find my own way. And then I was alone again.

Alone, I could think of how my life would only get worse from here. There would be hate from girls, interviews, photos. I would always be in a spotlight. Why did my parents lie to me this way? Why didn't they tell me I was adopted? Why did it take so long for everyone to find me? I couldn't do this. I couldn't be Lena Payne. I was over my head in this.

I never knew. I never knew that everything was falling through. That everyone I knew was waiting on a cue. To turn and run when all I needed was the truth. But that's how it's gotta be. it's coming down to nothing more than apathy. I'd rather run the other way than stay and see. The smoke and who's still standing when it clears and. Everyone knows I'm in over my head. over my head. Eight seconds left in overtime. She's on your mind. She's on your mind. Let's rearrange. I wish you were a stranger I could disengage. just say that we agree and I'll never change. Soften the blade until we all just get along. But that's disregard. Find another friend in the discard. As I lose the arguments in a cable car. Hanging above as the canyon comes between us.