Chapter two

"Lena, would you please stop talking for a minute?" dad asked rudely.

"I'm just trying to tell you that I met Liam Payne and he has my eye color-" I started.

"Shut up Lena! I'm sure that you're mistaken." mom snapped.

I stared at them both. "did I do something wrong?" I asked.

"No, Lena, we're just not in the mood to talk." dad said.

"Well that's rude." I muttered.

"Go get ready, honey. We have that board meeting tonight." mom said.

Ah yes. The meeting. My parents and I were all horseback riders, and mom and dad were part of the board that ran the saddle club where we showed. We attended the board meeting every month.

I got dressed for the meeting and we headed out.

****

"Oh, shut up Lena." Kathryn said playfully.

"No. You know I'm right." I said.

She rolled her eyes. "Would you girls please quiet down?" one if the board members called. I smirked. Kathryn and I had a habit of pissing people off.

The board meeting continued behind us and we continued talking, ignoring the hisses behind us telling us to shut up.

"I hate this place. It smells like fish." Kathryn said.

"They should seriously consider moving it." I agreed.

"Shhh!" my mother hissed at me. I smirked again.

Suddenly the door burst open and nine people were there.

Five of them were very familiar.

"Holy fuck. One Direction." Kathryn said quietly.

"Is Lena Cooper here?" Liam asked. I noticed a man and woman to his left, and there were two cops behind them.

"I'm Lena." I said nervously, standing up.

Liam's POV

Lena stood up and my mum lost it. "My baby!" she cried, rushing towards her.

Mum hugged Lena and caught her off guard.

"Why are you hugging my daughter?" Mrs. Cooper demanded.

"Your daughter?" dad asked. "Lena is our child."

"What?" Lena asked. She looked afraid.

"Ms. Lena, when you were two years old you were kidnapped from Mr. and Mrs. Payne." the officer to my left said. "You were taken to America and illegally put up for adoption two months later. So, Mr. and Mrs. Cooper aren't your parents, whether they adopted you or not."

Lena looked like she might cry. "But I wasn't adopted." she said, though it was obvious she no longer believed that.

"Yes you were, honey." Mr. Cooper said.

Lena bit down on her trembling lip. "Why didn't you tell me?" she asked quietly.

"You can't take her!" Lena's adopted mother yelled.

"It's true that their lack of ability to protect Lena from her kidnappers means that Mr. and Mrs. Payne cannot take custody of Lena because of child endangerment." The cop said. "But Liam Payne can."

Lena looked at me when she understood what this meant. I had already agreed to become my sisters guardian. But it didn't look like she was too happy.

"So, I'm going to live with One Direction in fucking London." she muttered angrily. "It looks like it." The officer said.

"I can't do this." she said. With that, she ran out of the building. I started to go after her, but Zayn stopped me. "Let me, mate." he said. And then he followed her out.

Lena's POV

I reached the parking lot and stopped. I didn't have anywhere to run. I was going to live with Liam. I couldn't change a thing about it.

I was leaving behind everybody that I knew and cared about. Mom, dad, my grandparents, my friends at school, my horses, the boy Alan that I'd been crushing on for two years....

"You're quite the fast runner, aren't you love?" a male voice asked. Familiar. Not Liam's or the officer. Neither of the Payne parents. No one I personally knew. But familiar just the same.

"I don't want to leave my family." I said. "Lena, did you not hear what was said inside? Liam is your family." Zayn said.

I turned to face him. "You know what I mean." I said. He smiled. "I do. But I don't think you know what I mean." he said.

"No. I don't. Why don't you tell me." I snapped.

"Lena, your parents and Liam have been searching for you forever. Before our last concert in London, after Li ran into you, he couldn't stop thinking about that photo. They love you, Lena, even if you don't love them." he said.

I instantly felt bad. "It's not that I don't love them. But I don't even know them." I said.

He touched my arm. "Lena, that's why you should go with Liam. Then you could get to know them. And all of the lads, if course." he said with a smile.

I grinned back. "Thanks Zayn. For coming after me." I said.

He shrugged. "I figured you could use a friend. The girl inside seems dumbstruck. All open mouthed and shit."

Add Kathryn to the list of people I was leaving behind.

Then he flinched. "Sorry. You shouldn't be listening to my bad mouth." he said.

I laughed. "Its okay, Zayn. I can handle it." I said.

Another familiar person came rushing out the door. "Zayn, have you found Lena? The cops want to go straight to the courthouse and get her in custody." Louis called.

"She's here mate." Zayn said. Louis walked up to us. "Alright Lena?" he asked. I nodded. "I guess you're right Zayn. Liam is my family." I said.

"That's the spirit. Way to go, Zayn." Louis said.

He put his arm around me and led me inside.