Chapter 11

I stayed by my mother's bedside softly crying while holding her hand. She was still warm, but I knew that warmth would slowly fade away. One of the nurse's came to my side and told me that I had to leave, so that they could prepare to move her body to a morgue. I reluctantly got up and nodded. I walked out to the hall to see Aiden on the phone. Once he saw me he ended his call and walked towards me.

"Christina what happened," Aiden asked with a worried expression. I tried to fight back the tears forming in my eyes but I couldn't.

"She's gone," I said between sobs.

Aiden's face sunk as he brought me in for a comforting hug. "I'm so sorry Christina."

Aiden's warm embrace made me unleash all my tears at once. I must have cried for twenty minutes straight but yet he never moved. He had let me get out every emotion I felt right there and then. After I had calmed down a bit, I pulled away from Aiden a little embarrassed that I had completely ruined his shirt.

"I'm sorry about your shirt." 

"It's okay trust me. I'm more concerned about you."

I gave Aiden a smile before turning around, "thank you but you don't have to worry about me. I don't expect you to."

"I know that, but I can't help but worry about you especially at a time like this. I don't think you should go back to the Anderson's today. There are too many people in that house, and right now I think it's best if you have time to gather your thoughts and find the best way to tell everyone."

I turned back to face him with a pained smile. Aiden was right if I were to go back home right now everyone would just ask me how my date with Aiden went, and I would without a doubt break down in tears.

"I guess you're right, but where am I supposed to go tonight?"

"I have a condo nearby which I use whenever I have business in Jersey. We could crash there for the night that is if you want to?"

"Sure I'll take you up on that offer."

Before I leave the hospice, I have to sign a certificate of death for my mother. Putting my signature on the paper made me realize completely that she is gone, and this is my new found reality. After I signed the certificate I sobbed some more as Aiden put his arm around me and led me out the door.

He opened the car door for me and I got in. He was so understanding and the perfect gentleman tonight. When he got in the car I couldn't help but feel horrible about how the night ended, especially because he isn't really close to me.

"Look Aiden, I'm sorry about ton...."

"Christina you have nothing to be sorry for. The only thing I wish is that you stay strong. What you are feeling right now I never experienced, so I don't know what to say or what to do to make you feel better."

"I think you're doing just enough." He gave me a small smile as we rode in silence for the remainder of the trip back to his condo.

His condo had a modern look and sophisticated feel to it.

"Nice place," I say withdrawn. I wasn't used to going home with men and after tonight's events I was extremely cautious.

"Thanks, there's a room down that hall with a shower feel free to use anything you like."

I nod my head and smile in appreciation. "Thank you Aiden for everything."

"No problem, I'll see you in the morning okay."

I nod my head once more before walking down the opposite hallway. The room was white and extremely neat. I put my bag on the bed and went into the bathroom to run a bath. When I walked back out I saw Aiden placing a change of clothes on the bed.