Chapter 14

I sat down on the pullout bed next to Danielle. My heart was racing in anticipation of what she was going to say.

“So. I asked you a question,” she said.

I swallowed, trying to moisten my throat. “What was it again?”

“How long have you two been doing that?” she asked for the second time.

“Doing what?” I asked, playing stupid.

“Sneaking out and being all kissy-kissy,” she said.

“Uh…” I stammered. “W-we’ve been sneaking out since we were in the States. Our first kiss was tonight.”

To my amazement, she smiled. “Well when were you going to announce it and make it official?”

“Wait… You’re not mad?” I asked, astounded.

She giggled. “Of course not! Zayn’s his old self again! Well, when he’s with you, he is. This is good for him.” She paused. “So. When are you making it public?”

“We, um, I—“ I didn’t really know what to say. “I don’t know.”

She frowned slightly. “You’re not going to hide it forever, are you?”

I answered, “I don’t want to. But he said he needs time. He just fully opened up to me not too long ago. It’ll take time for him to move on and readjust.”

She nodded in understanding. “As long as you do it soon.”

“I know. I’ll try.” I sighed. “You’re not going to tell anyone, are you?”

She shook her head vigorously. “Oh no. That’s you and Zayn’s job, not mine.”

I smiled gratefully. “Thanks, Danielle.”

She looked at me expectantly.

“What?” I asked. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Tell me everything!” she burst. “How did you two start talking? How’d you get him to open up? Who confessed their love first?”

I chuckled at her enthusiasm. “It’s kind of a long story.”

“Well it’s only…” She looked at the clock. “…almost four in the morning. We have time.” She grinned.

I returned the smile and proceeded to tell the whole story.

:~:~:~:~:~:~:

I went to bed at around five in the morning. I was tired, but I couldn’t shut my mind off. I was tossing and turning for hours, my thoughts reeling.