Chapter 11

I woke up alone. I had another blanket placed on me that hadn’t been there when I fell asleep. What time was it? I had left my phone at home, so I had no idea. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I probably looked terrible—messed up hair still a little damp from last night’s shower; whatever make-up that was left on my face was smeared; and I severely needed to brush my teeth.

I stood up and headed down the stairs. All five boys were in the kitchen. Great. They all got to see me like this.

“Hey, Paige! You’re finally up!” Louis greeted. “Liam wanted to ask you something.”

Liam gave him a slight shove and a glare, muttering, “Dude, she just woke up. I wasn’t going to ask her yet.”

“No, it’s fine,” I said. “What is it?”

The other boys gave Liam looks, as if telling him to go ahead and ask.

“Well,” he started, “Danielle is coming.”

“Danielle?” I wondered aloud.

“His girlfriend,” Harry clarified.

“Oh, okay,” I said, nodding. “Go on.”

“So as you can see,” Liam continued, “we have a pretty packed house here. I was wondering if she could stay with you and Darcy.” He flinched and gritted his teeth, awaiting my reaction.

I chuckled and said, “Of course she can stay with us!”

He relaxed in relief. “Great. That would mean the world to me. She’s coming in a couple days.”

Just then, Zayn got up and headed to his room, leaving his half-eaten breakfast behind. He was silent. Of course, he was always silent, but this time it was different. I heard his door close. All the boys gave each other a look as if communicating an unsaid thought. A thought only they shared.

“What was that all about?” I asked. They all looked at each other again. Harry whispered some words to Louis, and Louis nodded.

“Come here,” Louis said, walking out of the kitchen. I followed as told until we were on the back patio. “I know you’re getting close to Zayn and what not. And I don’t know what you’ve heard or found out. But you’ll want to leave him alone today, alright?”

The frustration that had been piling up within me finally came out. “Why?! He’s been left alone for who-knows-how-long! He obviously needs someone. Can’t you guys see that?”

“We’ve tried—“

“Well not hard enough!” I interrupted. I took in a deep breath, trying to calm down. “You guys know I’m your friend. But I can’t leave him alone like you have. Not today, not ever.”

“Look, I get that,” he said. “But you don’t understand. Leave him alone today, just this once.”

“Sorry, Lou,” I said, walking off the patio. “I refuse to do that.” I ran across the sand to the front of the house. Luckily, the key was still there from before, when I had hastily jumped out. I got in and drove the five minutes back to our condo.

When I stepped inside, Darcy greeted me right away. “Paige! I thought something happened to you! You left your phone here, so I couldn’t call you, and I—“

I held up my hand for her to stop. “I’m going to leave soon. I just came to change my clothes and wash up a little.”

She wrinkled her nose and looked me over. “Why do you smell like Zayn? And are those his clothes?”

I ignored her and changed the subject. “Liam’s girlfriend is coming, and I said it’d be alright if she stayed here.” I started walking to my room.