Chapter 1

“Please?”

“No.”

“Please, Paige?”

“Nope.”

“Come on! The VIP tickets and backstage passes I bought were expensive!”

“Nope. I’m not going.”

“Ugh! Who else am I going to take?”

“You have plenty of other airhead fangirls to choose from.”

“But you’re my only friend.”

“That’s not my problem.”

“Oh, come on! It’s one night!”

My best friend Darcy and I had been arguing about this since school ended. Now we were at my house and I was trying to eat my bowl of Lucky Charms cereal peacefully, but she wouldn’t shut up.

“It’s only one night, Paige,” Darcy continued. “We can do whatever you want next weekend.”

I sighed. “When is this concert exactly?”

“Tomorrow night.”

“But that’s a Saturday night.”

“And…?”

“I’m sorry, I can’t go, Darcy,” I said, sarcastically sad. “I have to walk the neighbors’ dogs bright and early Sunday morning.”

“Then go to bed as soon as we get home from the concert,” she said.

I exhaled slowly, trying not to explode in frustration. “I hope I don’t regret this… Fine. I’ll go—“

Darcy screamed. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

I threw her a fake smile. “Now please explain everything we’re going to do so I know what to wear.”

“Well, we’re going to go out to eat first; then we’re going to go to the concert; then we’re going to get a backstage tour by One Direction themselves!”

I let my now-soggy cereal fall of my spoon, and it plopped into the bowl. “Great. I’m going to have to pry you off of Harvy the whole time, aren’t I?”

“It’s Harry,” she corrected. “Harry Styles.”

“Oh, whatever!” I got up and put my bowl in the sink. “What’s so important about this stupid concert anyway?”

“It’s their first real concert in America!” she said. “And it’s in our own city! Isn’t that amazing?”

“Darcy, we live in New York City,” I said, unimpressed. “Of course their first concert is here.”

Her smile faded. “Tell me again why I am friends with you?”

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” I told her with a sarcastic grin.

She rolled her eyes and groaned. “See, this is why I’m your only friend.”

“I could make more friends if I wanted to,” I said defensively.

She huffed. “Yeah, right.”

“I could!” I insisted.

“Prove it.”

“I will.”

Her face lit up. “Fine. In order for you to prove it, make friends with a guy from One Direction.”

I started laughing, but stopped when I saw her serious face. “Wait… you’re not joking?”

“Nope,” she said with a smug grin. “Either they give you their number or they ask you for yours.”