Chapter 6

I gritted my teeth and stood up, my legs shaking. When I peered around the corner, Zayn was gazing up at the sky. I wasn't sure if he really knew I was there. But I had to talk to him tonight. I'd promised Mrs. Muck I would.

I carefully climbed onto the roof, balancing myself by holding out my arms. I sat down next to Zayn and dangled my legs over the side like he was. I tried my best not to look down.

"How'd you know I was there?" I asked.

"You aren't very good at being quiet," he said. "Not during any of the other nights either."

I gulped. Not only had he known I'd been following him, but now he was actually talking to me. His voice caused shivers to run through me, and I found it hard to focus. I could feel his body heat though he sat a foot away from me. Even Harry didn't make me feel like this.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

I thought through Mrs. Muck's advice. She told me not to pry for answers righ away, but to just be there for him. "I was just listening to your singing," I answered.

He didn't respond. We sat there in a peaceful silence, studying the stars.

"Did you write that song?" I asked.

He nodded.

"I really like it," I said. "You should share it with the boys, and maybe you guys could put it on your next album."

He looked down at his lap and bit his lip. "I can't do that."

"Why not?"

He didn't answer.

My eyes wandered to his open notebook. There was a drawing of the flowers from Mrs. Muck's garden. He saw me looking, and quickly slapped the notebook closed.

"Did you draw those?" I asked.

He didn't reply and diddled with his fingers.

I decided to let it go. Mrs. Muck told me not to expect any answers at first. It'd take time for him to open up. "Well, those are really good drawings."

The corners of his lips turned up, closer to a smile than I'd seen on his face before. He laid down on his back, folding his hands on his chest. I lay down, trying to discretely scoot closer to him. Feeling more of his body heat made me shiver.

"You cold?" he asked.

"A little," I lied. Don't judge. I'm sure you would do more just to get Zayn closer to you.

As I'd hoped, he put his arm around me, scooting me closer. "Better?" he asked.

I put my finger to my lips. "Hrm... not quite." I pulled the beanie off his head and put it on my own. "Better," I said, tilting my head up to smile at him.

His body shook, and I heard a small chuckling noise.

Was he... laughing? I got Zayn Malik to laugh? Sure, it was a small laugh. But I could deal with it. I found myself grinning like an idiot at my small success.

The next two hours passed like minutes. I fought to keep my eyes open and stifled back a yawn.

"You tired?" he asked.

I shook my head no, but my body chose the perfect time to force out a yawn.

"You should go to bed," he said.

I rubbed my eyes while I nodded. I precariously stood up, struggling to balance on the slope of the roof.

"Wait." Zayn grabbed me by the wrist, and electricity shot up my arm.