Chapter 1: Where Am I?

[Edited]

I opened my eyes, looking around hoping to see something familiar. The only thing I could see were the lush, green trees surrounding the little clearing I was sitting in.

"Hello?" I said standing up, brushing my clothes off.

Suddenly, I heard a faint flapping sound. I looked around frantically hoping to see the source but I couldn't see anything.

"Who's there?" I asked, almost stuttering in fear when I heard it again, closer than before.

I looked around again, but I still couldn't see anyone. Or anything.

I heard the flapping noise again before hearing a soft thump. It had landed.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something glowing. Turning, I realized they were eyes. Very large eyes.

It began walking toward me, screeching. I realized it was larger than I thought as it stepped out of the shadows. It was a huge, grey, scaly creature with many rows of razor sharp teeth.

It's gargantuan wings folded by its sides exposing its large legs. The crown of its head, it's back, and it's tail were all spiked. If you could describe it in one word, it would be terrifying.

It's long tail wrapped around its body as it sat down in front of me, mouth open.

I screamed, startling it. Cocking its head, it leaned down, its face getting closer and closer to me. I fell backwards trying to get away from it. It gently rubbed its head against my arm, even though its head was bigger than me. I realized it was trying to be friendly.

"H-hi.." I said holding my hand out. It sniffed it then rubbed its scaly head against it. I began petting it and it let out a purr-like sound.

"Looks like you found yourself a friend." A male voice behind me said. I jumped and spun around to see who had joined us. The creature wrapped its large body in front of me protectively.

"Shh. I'm not going to hurt her." The voice said again. I could see a figure in the shadows but it was too dark to make out anything except that it was male. The figure put his hand out for the creature to sniff it like I had moments ago.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice quivering.

"A friend. I am here to teach you about this world and why you were sent here."

"Sent here?"

"Yes. You are not one of us because I doubt you know what this is." He pointed toward the creature though I still couldn't see him.

"No..." I shook my head. "What is it?"

"This, my friend, is a Forest Darkling. There are different breeds for the different habitats here."

"Where exactly is here?" I asked. I was absentmindedly rubbing the Forest Darkling's head.

"You will find that out later. You are just a mere human."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I asked, offended.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you." He said. I could tell from his body language, even though the shadows still hid him, that he meant it.

I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, so you're a feisty one eh?" He chuckled.

The Forest Darkling butted its head against me, pushing me against it's back. It kept pushing me even though I couldn't go back any farther.

"He wants you to get on his back." He stated like it was obvious. "He's a smart one for a wild."

"Why does it- I mean he, like me so much?"

"I'm not sure. It's like he chose you. Like his whole purpose is to be your Darkling. This is strange. Nothing like I've ever encountered.."

"That's reassuring." I muttered while rubbing the Forest Darkling's head, not wanting to get on its back. He seemed to understand and lied down on the hard ground.

"So, do you want to tell me who you are, or are you going to tell me that when you tell me where I am?" I asked, getting impatient.

"It will be easier to show you." He said. "Are you sure you want to see me?"

"Yes?" I answered, not sure what that was supposed to mean.

"Promise not to scream though."

"Okay.." I said not knowing what that meant either. Then he stepped out of the shadows so I could see him.