Chapter 24

Chapter 24: Allison’s P.O.V.

As I walked through the familiar halls of my high school, I smiled. Something about this place just made me feel better. It was a rock, one that I could lean on when I needed to.

I also thought of Ryan. His messy brown hair and boyish features. His skinny arms wrapped around me. I think he’s a rock too. He told me we should meet up to talk every week; I told him I’d like that.

By third period, I ran into a familiar shaved head.

“Allison!” Nick walked over to me before French class started.

“Hey,” I smiled at him. The way he looked at me gave me a vibe that he was extra-clingy today.

“What have you been up to? I tried to call you over break, but you never answered.” Huh, I was right.

I thought about how I had thrown my phone into a river in Paris. “Yeah, my phone…broke.”

“Oh, well it’s nice to know you’re okay,” Nick said that but he looked at me very cautiously, like something was off, but he couldn’t figure out what.

“Thanks.”

“So, how about we go get coffee after school?” He sounded hopeful.

Giving him an apologetic look, I said I couldn’t make it because of cheerleading practice.

Mme. Taylor told everyone to sit in their seats.

At lunch, I decided to ditch my regular table and sit with Carson and Nick. They looked at me like an alien when I sat down in their booth.

“Hey, guys,” I smiled at them.

“Why are you here?” Carson blurted out. “I mean, you’ve never sat here before.”

“It’s a new year. Time to change things up a bit,” that was the last thing said on the matter.

“So, we were just talking about how the 90’s was the best era for cartoons…”

I laughed at their nerdiness. “I guess I knew what I was coming into.”

They carried on discussing various cartoon characters. I didn’t join in much, just happy to be there.

“Oh, Allison, before I forget,” Carson pointed a finger at me. “I have practice tonight, so I won’t be home when you get off from cheerleading, but my parents should be there, so just go in.”

“Do you guys live together?” Nick asked curiously.

“Yes,” Carson answered right away.

“Kind of,” I told Nick right after her, not wanting to lie to him. “I’m staying at her house.”

“Can I ask why?”

Carson elbowed him in the side. “Don’t be rude. It’s none of your business.”

“No, it’s fine,” I paused, thinking of what to say, “I have daddy issues.” After saying it, I had a strange feeling that I shared this problem with most modern-day strippers.

“Oh,” his mouth formed a word and he closed it, rethinking what to say. Then he cautiously asked, “elaborate?”

“Nick!” Carson warned.

Not wanting to give details, I tried to get him sidetracked by pursing my lips in fake thought. “Maybe later,” I said while rubbing his foot with mine under the table.

He stiffened and audibly swallowed, but nodded. Success.

It was my turn to receive Carson’s warning look.