Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen (Aidan's POV)

I woke up alone.

At first, I was panicky and looking around everywhere. I showered quickly and tore on a pair of jeans and a Moonstone sweatshirt before I raced downstairs to find Raven, only to find Scythe down there, leaning against the banister, looking up to see me

He still seemed uneasy around me after having slapped me. I didn't hate him for it. I deserved it. I told him that, but he still seemed guilty.

"Hey, morning. How're you feeling?" He asked, tilting his head slightly to scan me over. I shrugged a little, shifting uncomfortably at being studied.

"Fine, I guess. Sorta sick."

"It'll be like that for a while."

"So I've heard... Uhm," I paused, glancing around before looking at Scythe, who was fishing into his pockets for something, "Have you seen Raven?" Scythe frowned for a second, then shook his head and gestured out the door.

"I think he went with Kyler into Rosemary to pick up a few things. They should be coming back soon, they've been gone for an hour." He replied. I sighed, running a hand through my hair in relief. I had no idea why I woke up so terrified that Raven wasn't there.

He could easily kill anyone who tried to attack him anyway.

"Sleep well?" Scythe asked after a while. The silence was just too awkward, but his attempt at conversation was also sort of weird, so I just smirked.

"Yea, actually. Didn't wake up once, no nightmares, no nothing. What about you?" I asked. Scythe visibly relaxed at my accepting his conversation and smiled, stretching a little.

"Tired. Stayed up to pay the mortgage, electric bill, you know, all that boring stuff, then I had to wake up and hunt early... Strangest thing, though. There wasn't a thing out there." He frowned now, looking unnerved, but relieved to finally tell someone. I frowned too.

"What'd you mean?" I asked.

"There wasn't a single bird out there. No mice, no fox, no deer. Hell, I didn't even see a bug." Scythe answered, glancing out the door. I followed his gaze, then turned back to him.

"What'd you think it is?" I asked. Scythe shrugged, leading me outside to stand in front of the porch, looking up at the sky. It was sunny with only scattered clouds. No sign of a storm anywhere. Scythe was thinking the same thing, I'm sure, as he looked at me.

"Maybe we should stay inside today." He replied. I nodded. I wasn't going to argue anymore. He'd lived long enough to know when it was dangerous. I started to head back into the house as Fin came out, snorting angrily and muttering a curse about his mom under his breath.

"I'm gonna go out and find the others." He grumbled, shoving past Scythe, who sighed and shook his head as Fin changed and shot into the woods. Scythe and I shared looks before heading inside where the smell of food filled the air, making my stomach snarl. Scythe smirked at me and I blushed, scowling.

"I haven't eaten."

"Eat all you want. We have plenty now." He answered, leading me into the kitchen. The source of the smell came from a boiling pot of chicken stew with vegetables galore as well as a nice, attractive looking chocolate cake sitting on the center table. Scythe grabbed me a roll from the basket, tossing it to me.

I scarfed it down in seconds, licking my lips as Scythe laughed at me, ruffling my hair.

"Jeez, you really are hungry. We'll have them set the table. Kyler and Raven will be back any second now." He replied. I smiled, then winced as the kitchen door burst open and Ivy came storming in, fuming.