Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Raven's POV)

I never thought Aidan would feel so small, so fragile in my arms.

It was worse than when he was a pup.

It ate away at me as we walked back to the house, thankfully discovering that the others hadn't arrived home yet to find the house empty and lacking food. Rylan and Cal split off to the kitchen to begin cooking while I carried Aidan upstairs to my room, seeing as he had no bed to rest in when it came to his room. He was silent the whole way, no matter how many questions Rylan beat him with.

He was thinking. I could see the wheels in his head turning as he stared into nothingness. My heart ached with concern and my nostrils burned with the putrid scent that belonged to Styx. I wasn't a normally hostile person. I was laidback.

But whenever I heard Styx's name or even picked up on his scent, my blood boiled hotly and I wanted to rip that wolf's throat out, then leave him for the ravens to pick at. He was stepping into my territory, ruining what was mine. Either he was stupid or he was insane. And I didn't want either of those hazards near my mate.

"Are you mad at me?" Aidan asked, making me blink and look down at him as we drifted into my room. His green eyes seemed darker with the lack of light, his skin paler like he was sick. It just boosted my concern to flat out worry.

"No." I answered honestly. Aidan didn't respond and just looked back down as I gently placed him in my bed. He seemed to sigh wistfully as I set him amongst the thick quilts and sheets, the satin pillows sinking as he laid down. He tipped his head back for a second, then looked at me.

"Raven, I don't know what I'm doing anymore." He blurted. I frowned, then gently sat on the bed. I didn't say anything, just watched him as he pondered for a while longer, then continued.

"You keep saying you're my mate, and I believe it, but at the same time, I don't want to believe it. I'm being honest here that you're just a jerk. You always have been, granted, not as bad as Rylan, but you're still nasty. But then Styx came along and he was nice to me..." His voice trailed like he was thinking again. I grimaced.

"I didn't think it was being mean... Exactly." I replied. Aidan glared at me.

"Sure. Pushing me on my head twice wasn't mean. Pushing me down the stairs-"

"Hey, that was an accident."

"It was mean. Oh, yea. Can't forget that you locked me in my bedroom, then tried to rip my throat open." Aidan snapped. I scowled.

"You attacked me first, and I told you I didn't want you near Styx." I responded testily. Aidan rolled his eyes, but his expression became nervous.

"Why?" He asked. I frowned.

"Why what?" I asked, confused. Aidan looked right at me, his fingernails digging into the sheets and blankets.

"Why do you care if I'm near Styx? Why does it matter? Styx isn't mean to me. Styx doesn't hurt me. Styx treats me-" He immediately cut himself off as if he was realizing something. He looked agonized and dropped his eyes, bringing his knees up to his chest.

"Aidan, what happened?" I asked, alarmed. Something happened. I could tell. It wasn't just the fact that he was caked in dirt or cut across the nose. Something had happened after he left today while hunting. Something bad. He squeezed his eyes shut.

"You hurt me mentally. I'm seriously just waiting for you to say go die. But you don't punch me or kick me, not unless I do it first and even then, it's not that harsh. I was exaggerating earlier... But then Styx is nice to me. He says the right things and he boosts my ego, then he turns around... I mean, I know I asked for it, but I didn't want it like that."