Chapter 16: The calm before the storm

MAT'S POV

It's been about three days since they told us that Jonathan and Mary ran away. I'm guessing they left together...They always have been inseparable. Hanging out and going to school isn't the same without them. Me and Jess are worried about the two of them since nobody knows about them.

Jess: hey Mat...

Speaking of Jess.

Mat: Hey Jess. You've looked better.

Jess: Yea..

Her hair was always so neat but now it's the complete opposite. Her award winning smile was gone and she had bags under her eyes. Her eyes we're watery and she had tear stains still.

Jess: I miss Mary!!

She began crying on my shoulder again. She's been like this ever since they left.

Mat: it's ok Jess. I miss them too...

I hugged her hoping it would comfort her.
We knew that the two of them were gonna leave at some point but we didn't expect it to be so early.
As I comforted Jess, Jonathan's brother, Irec , went near us.

Mat: what do you want Irec?

Irec: look, I'm equally as destroyed as you two about the whole Jonathan thing but-

Jess: destroyed? DESTROYED? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BEING DESTROYED, HUH!? YOU BIG BULLY!

Jess jumped off me to push Irec around. Irec's always been a dick to Jonathan. He used to bully Mary a bit too. I wasn't surprised when I saw Jess push him because of his comment.

Irec: what the hell's wrong with you?!

Jess: ME? WHAT ABOUT YOU! YOU DONT CARE ABOUT JONA AND YOU DEFINITELY DONT CARE ABOUT MY SOUL SISTER!

Irec: AGH! STOP HITTING ME!

As I watched the two of them argue, I saw Jess's phone turn on. Then the three of us heard it ring.

Jess: huh?

Mat: who is it?

I asked as she grabbed her phone.

Jess: OMYGOD!

She picked up her phone almost immediately.

Jess: OMYGODOMYGODOMYGODOMYGOD!

Mat: who is it?!!

Jess: SH! Where are you!?!

we heard distinct voices on the other line and I recognized that voice.

Mat: put her on speaker!

Jess: ok! Your on speaker...

Mary: all right. Hello?

Mat: Mary!

Jess: It's soul sis!!

Mary: hey guys! Long time no talk.

Mat: where are you guys? Is Jonathan with you?