Chapter 9

I ran to Harry’s car with Zayn and the rest of the boys went into Liam’s car. “Harry what the hell is going on?!”

“I’ll tell you what’s going on, fucking management is going on. Again!” He shouted and hit the steering wheel in frustration.

“Mate, calm down. I’m sure they’ll hear you out bef-” Zayn started to say but then Harry interrupted him.

“Have they ever let me talk before yelling shit at me?” Harry stated, glaring at Zayn. Zayn stayed silent, we all knew that management never listened to you.

I sat in the back seat of Harry’s car with my head in my hands. I’ve never had to go talk to management with the boys and the thought of it alone frightened me. The car ride to meet management was nearly silent; Zayn occasionally quietly sang a song along with the radio that was softly playing. We pulled into the office building parking lot, Liam’s car parking next to ours. We all got out of the car and started to walk  inside. Harry was walking next to me and grabbed my hand and held it. He gave it a squeeze and opened the door for us to get inside of the building. We walked hand in hand to the elevators, stalling behind the rest of the boys. The lads were talking amongst themselves while Harry and I stayed quiet. The elevator dinged and the doors opened and we stepped inside of the huge room.

The floors were a dark brown wood, polished with not a speck on the ground. The pale white walls were decorated with pictures of famous singers and bands, and there were multiple chandeliers hanging on the ceiling. I gasped in awe, Harry glanced at me and chuckled. “Take a seat, boys.” A loud voice boomed throughout the room. We walked to the chairs that were in front of a massive screen and took a seat. An image popped up, showing a man and a women. The man seemed to be in his fifties and the women seemed to be in her forties. Both had brown hair, the women had on a formal black dress and the man was wearing a suit.

“Harry,” the man began to speak. “Would you like to tell us what happened?” he said, pointing to the same magazine article Harry had showed me the night before.

***

We walked out of the room in silence; The rest of the lads got to leave before Harry and I were excused. We were both yelled at for making immature decisions and other shit. I was too scared to speak and Harry was sitting in the other chair fuming. I had been told that me being associated with the boys was a distraction and I was not allowed to be seen with them for a few months when the tour ends. It was complete bullshit, they didn’t have a problem with us being together the first time we were going out, so why they won’t let us be together right now is beyond me.

“It was sorta funny when I almost puked on the chairs when that one guy was talking…” I chuckled, trying to lighten the mood while walking back to the car that was waiting for us outside. Harry said nothing and kept on walking, what was his problem? “I was just trying to lighten the mood…” I said while getting inside of the car. The ride back to the hotel was quiet which killed me inside. I checked the time, my flight was in four hours, I had to be at the airport in two hours to go through security. I thought me coming here would solve some of our problems, but it just seemed to add more.

“We’re here.” Harry mumbled and got out of the car.

“Well someone’s pissed.” I said and got out as well. We walked into the hotel separately, as ordered by management. I opened the door to our room when I got up and saw the mess Harry and I had made the night before. “Harry,” I said and walked to the bed where he was sitting down. “I guess we can’t talk for a few months…”

“Fuck no. I won’t let management take you away from me when I just got you back! I’ll get Paul to talk to them later, or maybe I can ask Simon or-”

I cut him off, “They’re going to find out again eventually and I don’t want to take that risk.” I ran my fingers through my hair and pulled on the roots. This whole thing stressed out beyond belief.

“Brooklyn I can’t lose you again. I was so lost and empty without you. I know what I did and-”  Harry started to say but my phone started ringing very loudly. I checked to see who it was and it was Abbie.

“Shit. It’s Abbie.” I told him and he sighed.

“Don’t answer it,” he told me but I didn’t listen, I picked up my phone and pressed answer.

“Oh hey Abbie!” I said happily into the phone, I hoped she didn’t know about Harry and I.

“WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING WITH HARRY?! I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO VISIT FRIENDS FROM HIGH SCHOOL NOT GO MEET HARRY BEHIND MY BACK!” Abbie screamed into the phone so loud that when I held my phone away from my ear and I still head her.

“Fuck,” I huffed under my breath. I looked up at Harry and he motioned for me to give him the phone. Reluctantly, I put the phone on speaker and gave it to him.

“Abbie, I’ve been meaning to call. I’m sorry but I’m breaking up with you.” Harry said into the phone and hung up right when Abbie started screaming again. “Well that’s one of the worst possible ways to break up with a girl…” He said and started laughing.

“Well, now would be an ideal time to say ‘now we can finally be together’ but that can’t happen until the tour ends.” I said with a chuckle. “They basically have you boys tied up on a leash…”

“You can say that again. Hey, maybe during the end of the tour you can come along with us… I’m sure this whole thing will blow over by then.” Harry looked at his watch. “I’m going to call Simon… he probably won’t be much help but it’s worth a shot. Be right back,” he said and gave me a quick peck on the lips.

I sighed and got up off of the rickety bed and walked to my small bag to sort out the clothes that I had to pack before I left in about an hour. Once I packed everything up I grabbed my phone and texted Harry.

To: Harry- Hey where r u, i have to leave in 30 mins to the airport…

I hoped he came back soon, it had already been thirty minutes and I thought it would only take him ten to do whatever he was doing. Thinking of nothing to do, I plugged in my headphones into my phone and walked out onto the balcony. I sat down on the tiled floor and started playing my music. I studied the view, finding strange yet unique things in the distance. The song that was playing had ended and the new song was Skyscraper by Demi Lovato. Before I knew it, I started crying and those cries turned into sobs. This song was playing when I tried to commit suicide for the third time, it was halfway through the song when my mom found me on the floor. My body was heavily shaking and I couldn’t see through the tears. I must have been laying on the balcony for only a minute because the song was still playing but a pair of arms wrapped around me. I picked up my head and saw Zayn’s eyes looking into mine. I put my head back on the ground and shut my eyes again.

“Brooklyn, I heard you screaming so I came into the room and found you here… What happened, are you okay?” Zayn kneeled down next to me and picked up my chin with his thumb. “Why were you crying?” he asked.

It must’ve been the pain, the loneliness, the heartache; but that was no excuse for what I was did next. Without thinking, I leaned in and made one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I kissed Zayn Malik.