Chapter 3

I sat in front of my TV, working on some school work and eating a bag of chips. It has been two weeks since Harry dropped me off at my apartment. When I got back inside my apartment that night, I discovered Harry slipped his number in my bag. Typical Harry. I threw the slip of paper away. I couldn't betray my cousin, and I wouldn't give into him. I wouldn't allow myself to be the way I was before; all he brought in my life was pain.

Harry and I first started dating a few years ago, before the X Factor ended, and they lost. They were a big hit around the world, so Simon got them a deal. While I dated Harry, he was pressured into doing things which pressured me into doing them too. After I broke up with him, he started to get more into the partying scene; He got drunk almost every night he could and got tons of tattoos. A loud thunk interrupted me from my thoughts about Harry. I got up and looked around my small apartment, finding nothing. Huh, I thought, that was strange.

I decided to take a break from my school work and watch some TV. I flipped through the channels and saw nothing appealing, so I just sat there for a few minutes and thought about what I should do. I had come to the conclusion that my life was as boring as a rock. It was only 2pm, I still had time to do something fun for the day. I hadn’t really looked around the city since I moved here about four months ago, so I could probably walk around and be a tourist for the day.

I logged onto twitter real quick and checked Harry’s twitter. Yes, I did look at his profile, only to check he’s not in the city. I saw he hadn’t tweeted for a few days, so I was relieved. I made a quick tweet; “@BrooklynMarie29: Going out in the city for the day! Haven’t been sight-seeing since I moved here!” A lot of fans had followed me since I tweeted the location of the cafe, it had its disadvantages though. Some girls had been tweeting me threats about Harry’s safety, I didn’t reply because I knew they were right. One Direction fans are crazy…

I got off of my laptop and went to my room to change. I settled on high waisted shorts and a floral bra top paired with my black converse. I put on some foundation and mascara and fixed my blonde hair which I had straightened earlier in the day. I was really excited to go out in the city and just admire it. I loved everything about the city; it was why I moved here for college. Later on, I decided that going to a university wasn’t for me because of my job, so I started online school.

I grabbed my brown cross body bag, keys, phone and headed out the door. The first thing on my list to see was the one place I’ve been wanting to visit since I moved here- The Empire State Building. It was a mile or two away from my place so I didn’t bother taking a cab.

If you had met me before I dated Harry, you would know I was shy and always kept to myself. He brought me out of my shell, got me to try new things. Unfortunately, a lot of those things were bad and got me in tons of trouble. After we broke up I tried to fix my image by getting better grades and not going out as much. It helped a little, but people still saw me differently. When I moved to New York, I tried to find myself. I still didn’t know who I was, but I do know that I was a more confident and risky person.

***

The line to get to the top of the Empire State Building took an hour, but it was worth it. Being so high up here, I felt free. I could see all the taxis and people below me, all of the other breathtaking sights of New York. I had brought my Nikon with me as well, as I wanted to take a few pictures for my wall in my room. I zoomed in on the taxis from above and snapped a few shots. I walked around the top a few more times, taking in the view. I looked down at my camera too look at the pictures I took and accidently bumped into someone, thankfully my camera didn’t fall.