Chapter 7

I was sitting in a fancy restaurant with my gorgeous boyfriend, dressed in a pretty dress and heels with a glass of wine in front of me, and all I could think of was the time Calum and I had gotten caught on the beach in the rain and had to sprint for shelter to a nearby restaurant.

An unintentional smile slipped over my lips as I remembered how the skies had opened up on us, drenching us to the skin in seconds.

I remembered how Calum had thrown his arm across my shoulders, his floppy fringe sticking to his forehead and his eyes crinkled with laughter as he led me towards the cafés and shops that lined the beachfront.

I remembered running into a small seafood restaurant with a red and white striped awning, cluttered with metal tables and plastic chairs.

I remembered the two of us dripping water all over the hardwood floor, and how his lips, warm despite the cold rain trickling down his nose, had pressed against mine and he had held me so tightly that I felt warmed up from the inside.

I remembered the friendly waiter putting tablecloths across our shoulders and Calum refusing to let go of my hand as we shared a plate of fish and chips, the best I’d ever tasted.

I remembered Calum laughing as I choked on my water and tenderly adjusting the tablecloth around my shoulders when I started to shiver.

I remembered how he had looked at me, eyes full of love, even though I knew I bore a striking resemblance to a drowning rat.

I remembered…

“Shiloh?”

I blinked.

A plate of grilled fish and glistening vegetables had been set down in front of me.

I turned to the haughty waiter with a smile. “Thank you.”

He nodded in acknowledgement and I turned back to Drew with an embarrassed smile. “Sorry. Daydreaming.”

“You always do that. One day you’re going to zone out while crossing the road and get hit by a truck or something.” There was a hint of frustration in his tone.

I bit my lip. “I’m sorry. That looks delicious, what did you get?”

“Filet mignon. I did suggest it to you.”

“I’m happy with this.” I shook out my napkin, placing it on my lap, picked up my cutlery and began eating.

It was a gorgeous meal, the fish tasted of lemon, the vegetables were crisp and the wine was smooth.

But my tongue ached for fish caught and cooked straight from the ocean, and for chips that dried my mouth out with salt, and for water so cold it hurt my teeth.

“You look gorgeous tonight, babe.” Drew said, once again drawing me out of my memories.

I forced a smile at him. “Thank you.”

From there we both made an effort to keep the conversation flowing, keeping it light and easy.

At the end of our meal, I declined dessert and offered to split the bill, but as usual, Drew refused and paid for both of us.

“Let me be a gentleman.” He mock scolded, smiling at me.

I gave him a fond smile. “You are a gentleman.”

We put our coats back on and walked outside.

“Did you want to stay over tonight?” Drew asked.

I hesitated. “I wish I could, but I’m going out in the morning and I don’t want to disturb you.”

“Where are you going?” His tone was no longer so light.