Chapter 4

If there was one thing Michael was good at (aside from eating, gaming and playing guitar), it was guilt tripping.

Since his admission in the car and the begging face that had accompanied it, guilt had attacked my stomach until I agreed to stay and hang out with him for a while.

Which is how I ended up sitting on Michael’s couch, wearing his green flannel shirt over my own long-sleeve and cradling a bowl of chips.

“You’re lucky you have food.” I told him, pointedly. “And heating.”

He laughed at me, running a hand through his messy black-and-purple hair. “It’s a cool place, isn’t it?”

It was.

The boys lived in an apartment block just out of the city’s centre, with balconies stretching out over the streets and the Harbour Bridge in wonderful view.

The apartment took up nearly a quarter of the whole sixth floor and it suited Mike and Ash to a T.

There was a short hallway from the front door, with a doorway to Ash’s bedroom branching off it. There was a bathroom across the hall from it. The hall opened up into a huge, spacious area that was simultaneously living, dining and entertainment.

The floor was polished dark wood, but a huge maroon carpet stretched from under the couch to the television mounted on the opposite wall, in the middle of the room. The couch was black leather with red tartan cushions and a dark wood coffee table lay in front of it, scattered with game cases and consoles.

To the far right lay the open plan kitchen, separated from the living area by a granite bench. A big dining table was in front of the bench, surrounded by chairs.

To the far left was a huge window and sliding door that opened up to the massive balcony and spanned across the whole length of the room.

Next to the kitchen, another hallway branched off, to where Michael informed me, led to his bedroom and the music room, where all his and Ashton's instruments were stored.

“Calum and Luke share an apartment just below us.” Michael explained.  I glanced at him sideways, but he rushed to assure me. “They’re at the doctors. They won’t be back for a while.”

I nodded slowly. “Ok. But I can’t stay too long. Jaz and Elliott just got back this morning, I haven’t seen them in a week.”

“Fair enough.”

“So where’s Ashton?”

“He’s out with Sandy.”

“Sandy Erling?” My mouth dropped open. “No way. They’re still together?”

“Like four years and going strong.” Michael laughed. “Now there’s a love story for you. The boys and I have bets on when he’s going to pop the question. He’ll be the first in the group for sure.”

I felt my heart constrict at Michael’s words. “Wow. That’s…that’s crazy. I know they’ll be wonderful together. Can you excuse me a minute? I just have to go call Jaz and let her know where I am.”

I deposited the chips on the coffee table and almost sprinted into the music room through the back.

I closed the door behind me and allowed myself a few seconds to collect my sanity.

Marriage. Out of all the things to consider.

Ash was only twenty, Sandy only nineteen. They were far too young to make that kind of commitment, weren’t they?