Chapter 3

The flat seemed weirdly quiet when the boys left.

Luke had muttered endless apologies to me as he ushered Calum out the door.

Michael had offered me a sad smile and Ashton had gone so far as to give me a fleeting hug.

I felt empty.

Jaz and Elliott were in the kitchen, I could hear their low chatter and shuffling footsteps.

I’d told them I needed space for a minute, but I hadn’t moved to my bedroom.

After seeing Calum and the explosion of feelings he left in my stomach, the idea of seeing the rumpled sheets Drew and I had moved from only an hour ago made me feel sick.

“Shi?” Jaz’s voice was gentle. She pressed a steaming mug of tea into my hands. “Are you ok?”

“No.” I let out a short laugh. “Of course I’m not ok. I wasn’t prepared to see him, Jaz. I really wasn’t. And to have him turn up and grin at me like nothing was wrong…it hurt.”

“I know.” Jazmin soothed, pulling me in for a hug.

“I wish it hadn’t happened.”

“The amnesia or…the rest of it?”

I bit my lip, pulling away. “I don’t know.”

She nodded and smiled at me, pushing away the problems with an airy wave of her hand.

It was the trait of hers I was most envious of.

I was a worrier, always freaking out over the little things, panicking over the bigger things and lying awake for hours running things over in my head.

Since I’d met him, at age twelve in year seven, Calum had been the one to calm me down.

It was how we’d met, actually.

I still got embarrassed thinking about it, despite it being six years ago.

I’d gotten lost in the school hallway and was unable to find my way back to the classroom.

It sounds silly now, but for a little year seven, I was freaking out that I’d get in trouble.

It was Calum who’d found me, curled into a ball near his locker, trying not to have a panic attack.

He didn’t have to, but he’d stayed and soothed me, even walked me back to my class after I’d calmed down.

We’d been firm friends after that.

It somehow didn’t matter that he was charming and charismatic, valued on the junior soccer team and pretty popular whereas I was awkward and shy and only really talked with my two best friends: Jazmin and Elliott.

Then Calum got into music, with his two best mates Michael Clifford and Luke Hemmings.

Luke and I got along pretty well, we were both awkward people, and Calum used to joke that he never understood how we were such good friends if we never said anything to each other at all.

I found Michael hilarious. He had such a lame sense of humour that I couldn’t help but laugh every time he opened his mouth.

A few people had sneakily suggested that I had a thing for Michael, or that he had a thing for me.

He’d never mentioned anything of the sort, but for me, it had always been Calum.

Ever since that first day in year seven, those warm eyes and cheeky smile had gotten me every time.