Chapter 6

Everything ached.

There was a bass pounding a heavy beat in my temples and my mouth felt stuffed with sandpaper.

Every one of my limbs felt weighted down, as though my veins were running with cement rather than blood.

I groaned loudly, my eyes flickering open to let the faintly lit ceiling spin into focus.

“Good morning, sleepyhead.” Jazmin’s voice was soft, but each word bounced off my skull.

I threw an arm across my eyes. “What time is it?”

“Ten. Elliott and I are about to go out for brunch.”

“Good. Go away. You’re loud.”

Jaz laughed. “This is your fault, Shiloh. You know you’re a lightweight. Why did you drink that much anyway?”

“Calum challenged me to a drinking contest. I don’t know who won.”

“He did. You sculled two cans and you were a goner. I don’t know how much you drank after that contest.”

I let out a heavy sigh. “And now I have to go and get the damn ferry tickets.”

There was a pause.

Then: “What ferry tickets?”

“That was the bet. Loser buys two ferry tickets for this weekend.”

I could almost hear Jaz’s hesitation. “Are you sure this is a good idea, Shiloh?”

I removed the arm from my face, blinking blearing up at my best friend.

“No.” I said, honestly. “But I don’t know if I can do anything to stop it now.”

Lips pursed, Jaz nodded. “There’s water and painkillers on your bedside table. Elliott and I will be back soon. Don’t do anything stupid.”

“With a hangover like this? I can’t even think let alone do something stupid.”

She left me with her laughter echoing in her wake.

I groaned into the silence.

I hadn’t had a hangover this bad since high school.

How drunk had I allowed myself to become?

I knew my limits, I knew I was a lightweight.

But Calum had been there, and the innocence in his face and the pain in my heart had been too much to bear.

And Aria had been there and she’d been her typically bitchy self and Drew was just being…Drew.

I groaned again, loudly, hauling myself to a sitting position and reaching for where my mobile sat on my bedside table.

A few missed calls Sandy and Ashton, a couple of texts from Michael and Luke. A text from Calum, I would have to read that later.

And here…a missed call from Drew.

Damn it.

Sighing heavily, I pressed the phone to my ear and listened to the message he’d left me, wincing as the words pierced my ear like needles.

Shiloh.” His tone was annoyed. “Call me when you’re sober. You can’t just walk out on me while I’m at a party where I don’t know anyone.” There was a brief pause, then a light sigh. “I hope your hangover isn’t too bad. Call me when you’re feeling better.

I deleted the message and swallowed the painkillers with a mouthful of water to wash them down.

I dragged myself to the shower and after a few minutes bathed in hot water and steam, I felt a hundred times better.