That Would Be Enough

Hamilton AU

hi it's me thanks for 1k reads i never thought anyone would read this

Jeremy's POV

I strolled down my street, my hands tucked in my pockets as I thought of my husband waiting for me at home.

As I neared my house, I saw Michael sitting in the garden, holding something wrapped in a blanket. I broke into a run, excited to see my husband after being away for so long. Letters were nice, but could not replace being with him in person.

He looked up and smiled,  blushing.

"Look around, look around at how lucky we are to be alive right now. Look around, look around."

I pulled him into a brief hug before looking down at the bundle in his arms.

Wrapped in a blanket was the most beautiful baby boy I had ever seen. I gasped, barely containing my excitement.

"How long have you had him?"

"About a month or so."

"Michael, you should've told me."

"I found him on our doorstep a month ago. I decided to keep him."

The baby giggled, interrupting our conversation. He smiled up at me, wrapping his little hand around my finger. I kissed him on the forehead, barely believing this was reality. 

"Jeremy, can we keep him?"

I looked at my husband, who was kept his gaze towards the ground.

"Jer, I would've told you, but I really had no idea to do."

"Just tell me, no matter what. I won't be mad. I love you, and we couldn't just leave this little guy alone. He deserves to have parents."

My eyes misted saying that.

I remembered my dad, leaving me and my mother alone to fend for ourselves. I remember curling up into my mom's arms as she died, barely holding on to the tidbits of hope I had left.

She reassured me that everything would be alright, stroking my hair and crying silently. 

I remember how the tears flowed down my face, dripping on to her dead body. My last glimpse of hope had just faded into the darkness.

I kissed her still, dead lips one last time, and rose.

Out of the darkness came determination. Determination to get out of my current situation. Determination to rise up and overcome my challenges.

A warm hand wiped away my tears.

I looked up to Michael cupping my face, concern in his eyes.

"Jeremy."

I looked up at him through my damp eyes.

"Jeremy. It's okay. Our baby will grow up here safe and sound with his parents. We will love and care for him, and one day he will grow up and blow us all away. "

I smiled. I knew that Michael would stick by me, no matter what.

"Do you relish being a poor man's husband? I'm unable to provide for your life."

He pressed his forehead against mine.

"I relish being your husband."

I smiled and pulled Michael in for a kiss. How I'd gone on without these his sweet lips for a month was beyond me. 

Our baby giggled again, squirming around in Michael's arms.

"What should we name him? I decided to wait until you came."

I looked down at the baby. Suddenly, it hit me.

I had the perfect name for him.

"Phillip."