~8~ Fresh Start

*Andrew*

"And now can the children please come up to say some last words?" the pastor said and I squeezed Alexa's hand tightly before letting her go.

She had dark sunglasses on her eyes but I knew they were probably red from all the crying.

"Uh hi," she started before pausing, taking a deep breath and going on, "I don't know what to say." she started again before stopping and looking at me for help.

I went up the stage and brought her down.

"Mia are you ready?" I asked holding the little girl's hand as Michelle tried to give Alexa a pep talk.

She nodded and holding her doll tightly, she went up the stage holding my hand as I lifted her unto my shoulder and gave her the mic to talk into.

"Mummy and Daddy are in heaven. A good place where good things happen and all they do all day is have fun and listen to us so say cheese everybody. They're watching. I love you Mum!! You too Daddy." she said and everybody burst into laughter and clapped till she reached her seat.

"How'd I do?" she asked sucking her thumb.

"I think mummy and daddy are saying cheese in Heaven." and I gave her a high five.

"Ok Daniel?"

He nodded and I gave him an encouraging smile and waited by the staircase for him.

"I'm not allowed to say Dad and Mum are making babies right this moment in Heaven so kindly turn deaf ears if I slip up," he started with a grin as everyone burst into laughter.

"Oops? Anyways I'm happy they're having fun without any interruptions and I hope for their sake that we smile or 'say cheese' as Mia puts it, as we celebrate the life of my Dad and Mum."

People cheered loudly for him and he looked up to the sky with a smile before coming down and following me.

"Next up, Derek. You ready?"

He nodded and ran up the stage making some people chuckle.

"Dad and I are Arsenal fans and we won our game the day Dad and Mum left for uninterrupted fun in Heaven so can I firstly hear a whoop whoop from Arsenal fans."

People 'whoop whooped' with smiles on their faces as Derek went on.

"Dad was the greatest and mum was the sweetest. I think it's time we put them to rest And time we put our love to test. I love you mum, I love you dad and I wish you all the best."

More people shouted and clapped with tears in their eyes at the ten year old's rhyme.

"That's my little rhymer." I said ruffling his hair as he bumped my fist with his.

"April?" I asked and after hugging Michelle, she went up in her short fitted black gown that made her look classy yet young.

"I'm a Manchester United fan and Derek? We rule! Ok?" she asked looking at her younger brother as people laughed and Man Utd fans like myself cheered.

"I'm no rhymer. Or whatever Danny is. Or smiler. I'm a texter and a Cole. We Coles are every good thing and beyond and the world has lost two which is a great tragedy. On the other hand they left six behind and we plan on making sure the Cole name doesn't go down with them. So have fun mum and dad. We love you."

Her speech was short and simple but helped people of the audience focus more on the children and they cheered for them as April left the stage.

"Nicely done Cole." I said to her as she grinned with tears in her eyes and gave me a side hug.