| Chapter 17 |

Chapter 17

I was up until eleven o’clock last night studying my own notes and Noah’s notes. I must admit, at some points, I got distracted because of Noah’s handwriting and the way his letters curled, but I managed to tune back in quick enough to realize that I have a test the following day. I got up at five o’clock in the  morning again in order to study a bit more after I shower. So that’s what I did.

I went downstairs and had cereal, seeing as my mother wasn’t awake to make me breakfast. When it was time to leave, I closed Noah’s notebook and stuffed it in my bag before leaving the house. I got into my car and drove to school, mumbling equations to myself. Most of the people were wearing shorts because of the good weather whereas I was dressed in jeans and a hoodie. I received a few odd looks but I didn’t care.

I entered the building and rather than going straight to the cafeteria like we’re supposed to, I walked towards the stairs. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Noah walking into the building. I turned and I guess Noah noticed me because he stopped walking and twisted in my direction. It’s hard to tell because he doesn't make eye contact. I started walking towards him as I glanced behind me, making sure he wasn’t looking at someone else.

“Hello,” I greeted. Marissa came running into the school, dressed in jean shorts that reached her knees and a bright pink top. I turned to look at her. “It isn’t Wednesday.”

She laughed, rolling her eyes. “I know.” She glanced between me and Noah before she realized that we were having a conversation, or starting one, and she pointed over her shoulder. “I’m going to go to the cafeteria.”

“Okay, I’ll see you at lunch,” I waved. I turned back to Noah, who was staring at his Supras. “Hello.”

“What?” he curtly responded.

“Thanks for letting me use your notebook to study. I have it in my bag, let me just grab—," he cut me off.

“Keep it; you need it more than I do,” he shrugged.

I slowly put my bag back over my shoulder. “I don’t know if I should be offended or not.”

He shook his head. “I’m just saying.”

I glanced at my phone to see that it was 6:55 AM and I have to be in the classroom by 7. “Well, I have to go.”

I turned to walk away but Noah stopped me by grabbing my arm. “Kennedy.” I turned around and he quickly let his hand fall to his side. “Uh, don’t fail that test. You studied hard.”

“What? No good luck?” I smirked and he rolled his eyes.

“Good luck,” he muttered.

What? No good luck kiss? “Thank you.”

He just nodded and I turned and walked towards the stairwell. As I jogged up the stairs, I sighed. I have to pass this test. Swinging open the door to the hallway, I noticed that no one else was upstairs; since today is career day, we’re allowed to travel from class to class to see several different speakers. There are no official classes today. It's the school's way of letting us relax before vacation, which thankfully starts tomorrow.

I sighed as I walked into the Algebra 2 room. Mr. Park was at his desk, shuffling through papers. When he saw me, he motioned towards a desk with a pencil and a test booklet on it. I exhaled slowly as I sat down, placing my bag beside me. “The sooner you finish this test, the quicker I can grade it and give you the score. I have to stop you at 8 o’clock but if you finish before that, I’ll grade it sooner. Good luck, Ms. West.”

I gave him a half smile before opening the test booklet.

<<>><<>> 

I stood beside Mr. Park’s desk, anxiously glancing over his desk as he checked off my answers. I noticed my other test sitting on his desk with a big, fat D+ on it. It was graded a 67. I winced when I saw it and averted my gaze to the test that he was now checking. I’m pretty sure I surpassed my previous score. I shifted from foot to foot, watching as he counted up the amount of questions I got right. Please let me get a B; please let me get a B; please let me get a B.