| Chapter 9 |

Chapter 9

“Are you ever going to beat up another student again?” Marissa laughed loudly as we exited the school. Detention takes a lot out of you, even though you don’t get in trouble for sleeping. I know because it seems as if everyone around me was in lala land.

I shook my head, taking my hair out of its ponytail. I threw it into a messy bun, not bothering to donate a care to the nice and neat hair foundation. “Can we just go shopping?”

“I never thought I’d hear you say that,” Marissa grinned.

“I have no other choice, seeing as you drove to my house at five thirty in the morning, and in order to get me up, you ring my doorbell and pound on my door," I snapped.

She grinned. “You shouldn’t have told me that you weren’t going to come shoe shopping last night.”

“But that doesn’t give you the right to wake me up like you’re the police. I nearly fell down the stairs rushing to get the door!” I retorted.

She shrugged. “You were sleeping in sweatpants, which technically is a crime in our seventy degree weather.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “Don’t judge me.” Earlier, she explained that while I was in detention, she had followed her brother back to their house and told him to get in her car. He easily complied, mainly because Ethel is at the house and he doesn’t want to face her alone, I’m presuming. So for the last twenty or so minutes, he’s been stranded in the parking lot without a car, just waiting beside Marissa’s. I doubt he knows that we’re going shopping; he probably wouldn’t have gotten into the car without a problem if he had known. He mustn’t have known that I was going to be here, too.

“I won’t, as long as you get in my car," she replied and I noticed her brother sitting on her car. Marissa seemed to notice this too because she gasped. “Get off my car, you idiot!”

In response, Noah didn’t look up from his phone which was on his lap. Instead, he raised his left hand and gave Marissa the middle finger. She gasped. “Kenna is right here!”

Noah lifted his right hand and held up his middle finger, and I’m guessing that one finger salute was for me. “Throw your hands in the air; wave ‘em like you just don’t care!" Marissa called with a grin on her face.

Noah began waving his arms around before stuffing his phone into his pocket and hopping off of the car’s trunk. “Took you guys long enough.”

We still didn’t talk about my confession to Marissa but I have a feeling that she told him. We piled into the car, me in the front passenger’s seat, Marissa in the driver’s seat, and Noah in the middle seat at the back of the car. Marissa told me that I could control the music and I smiled, happy that I wouldn’t have to listen to Justin Bieber throughout the whole car ride to whatever shoe store Marissa dragged us to.

I was flipping through the stations when a familiar tune greeted my ears. Marissa nearly squealed and Noah muttered an annoyed, Dear God, from the back seat.

It feels like it was just yesterday, we were in love…

Bad by The Cab blasted throughout the car while Marissa and I sang along to the song. She was tapping on the steering wheel while I pretended to play the drums and the guitar, switching back and forth from each instrument. I’ve always wanted to know how to play the guitar; the drums, not so much. Once the song ended and we reached a red light, Noah unbuckled his seatbelt and leaned through the area between the two front seats and tampered with the radio. Another familiar song began playing and Marissa groaned. “As if I don’t have to hear this a thousand times at home; now you play it my car.”