| Chapter 12 |

Chapter 12

My eyes settled on the plate of pasta in front of me. This morning, my mother thought it would be completely healthy to make me chocolate chip pancakes. I still am full and have the urge to use the bathroom, and it’s not a number one if you catch my drift. I shifted in my seat, my stomach making an odd noise. Oh no.

“Hey!” Marissa cheered as she approached me, a sandwich on her plate. I smiled, watching her sit down across from me. Her volleyball friends were still sitting together, despite the official ending of the season last week at the game before our three day break. This entire week was filled with festive talk about the next upcoming holiday. I, on the other hand, am not so festive. My mother is already talking about going out and chopping down a tree, an old tradition in which we stopped celebrating a year ago. She decided that she wanted to bring it back, even though I politely refused.

“What’s up?” I asked, a smile pulling the corners of my lips upward.

She looked at me, a mischievous glint twinkling in her eyes. “I was wondering if you want to go shopping tonight? I don’t have to start the drive until eight so I have six hours to kill. I’m already packed. And when I come back from the stupid wedding, I’m going to teach you how to do your makeup, even eyeshadow.”

“Do you ever do anything else? I swear, that’s all we ever do when we hang out!” I told her. “Shop, shop, makeup, shop!”

“Would you rather hang out at my place and stare at my brother?” she snapped, her eyes narrowing playfully. I scowled at her, my cheeks tinging pink. I haven’t talked to Noah since the whole entire music scenario last Wednesday. “But this is a different type of shopping, plus we’ll have two guests.”

“Who are they?” I questioned, a small ounce of hope sparking up in my chest. I furrowed my eyebrows as I assessed the small amount of hope.

“Chloe and Dana!” Marissa happily cheered. I felt the small amount of hope disperse and slowly turn into disappointment. “I wasn’t sure whether or not I should invite Chloe because she’s a little jealous about the whole gala thing.”

I couldn’t help but smirk a little. Chloe, a very pretty girl, is jealous of little ole’ average me. “And Dana was quick to accept the invite. She’s in dire need of some new makeup, too.”

My eyes widened slightly as I looked at Marissa. “Make up? We’re going shopping for makeup?”  

She nodded, smiling. “You wanted a makeover right?”

“Yeah, but I never expected to buy makeup,” I told her.

“So you planned on doing your makeup with crayons?” Marissa asked, leaning forward slightly before biting into her sandwich.

I shrugged. “I don’t know what I expected when I agreed to be your designated driver. I just assumed you’d do my makeup a few times and tell me that I should have gotten the hang of it by then.”

“So you expected me to rip you off?” Marissa questioned, her eyebrows rising as she snorted while I gave her a sheepish nod. “No, I wouldn’t do that.”

“I haven’t been keeping up my end of the bargain,” I awkwardly responded.

“I haven’t asked you to bring me to any parties, have I?” she replied.

I shrugged again. “No, but I’m assuming you’re going to by that stupid smile on your face.”

“What? This one?” she giggled as she pointed to her goofy grin. “Oh, nah, I’m just thinking about going to this awesome Christmas party!”