Chapter 14- First Drink, Last Name

------------

**********************

So, here is Chapter 14! Hope you enjoy :)

**********************

 ------------

I spent the night tossing and turning in bed, the events rerunning in my mind like a movie on repeat. From the hallway shadow-attack, to Jay's kiss. I remember Alexanne peeking into my room and asking if I was asleep- I wasn't, however, I didn't reply. Jolianne peeked in also, a little more noisily from her intoxicated state before she was sent to her own room. Sleep must have managed to take over my tired body because I woke to the sun's bright rays landing directly on my face. I'm still tired, but sleep seems to have helped clear my mind and I decide to rise and prepare the breakfast for the others if they aren't already awake.

As I gather the ingredients to make pancakes, I think about what this family is doing for me. I know that once I leave their care, I will be a fully capable woman. Perhaps not quite independant, but capable for sure. They've each been successfully teaching me the various parts of life. Some lessons are intentional, while other's aren't. I bring my fingers to my lips, the memory of Jay's lips still very fresh.

''You might want to flip that...'' Alexanne surprises me from the doorframe of the kitchen and I jump, bumping my hip against the oven. She smiles and comes over, picking up the frying pan, shaking it a bit before giving it small hit up to make the pancake flip. She places it back on the burner, moving to lean against the counter with a proud grin on her face. ''Who kissed you last night?'' she asks suddenly.

''Wh-what?'' I stutter, moving further from her to the bowl of batter and mixing it some more.

''The way you were touching your lips when I came in- someone kissed you.'' her grin spreads wider on her face. She reaches into the cabinets and pulls out a clean plate, handing it over to me.

''No one.'' I slip the pancake from the frying pan onto the plate and hand it back to her.

''Come on! I want the juicy details!'' she whines, placing the plate in the micro-wave to keep the pancake's warmth.

''Emma has some juicy details to spill?'' Keven asks, coming in.

I glare at Alexanne and she laughs, nodding at Keven. ''Someone kissed her!'' she blurts out.

''No one kissed me.'' I defend myself, my voice barely more than a squeak. I flip the pancake with the spatula- I may be able to cook them but I sure as hell can't do the fancy tricks. ''Let it go.''

Alexanne and Keven continue asking, occasionally poking me in the ribs. I continue to deny and cook the pancakes. When a few are done, Keven goes about placing the table and Alexanne leaves to wake the remaining sleepy-heads.

''So, now that Alex is gone. Who kissed you?'' Keven asks, popping his head right beside mine above my shoulder.

''Ugh! No one did. And even if someone did kiss me, it is none of your buisness.'' I reply, getting tired of this conversation.

''Emma is right, Keven. Its her life. If she wants to share, she will, right hunny?'' Jolianne's sweet voice comes from the entrance and she walks over to me, placing a kiss on my cheek as she pushed Keven away. ''And these look and smell delicious by the way.'' Jolianne had a way to keep the house calm even with so many hormonial teenagers in it

Moments later, Richard and Alexanne join us and we sit around the table for breakfast. Only then do I notice that Keven had set the table for five, rather than six and this made me realize that Jay wasn't present. I couldn't muster the courage the ask, I was afraid that asking would cause the blush on my face to return and bring up the kiss questions again. Instead, I concentrated on breakfast with the rest of the family.