24. I Don't Love You

The shock set in as I released myself from him. He looked happy, like I had finally done something right. He didn’t smile that often, but he seemed to be radiating right now. And here I was, thinking I would be regretting my decision, but it couldn’t be further from the truth, I was actually happy I had kissed him. It made me feel like before, before him and I had our nasty break-up.

“Wow.” He let the word escape his lips as he smiled and looked up at me, “I forgot how good you were at kissing.”

I just smiled, my ears slightly burning red. “And I forgot how much you liked to be kissed.”

I got up, looking around the room, “I need to go, but trust me you’ll get better and Benjamin, you’ll fight for Cole’s freedom. Let’s be honest with ourselves, we won’t be friends if you let me down.”

He gave me a sad smile, but complied, “Okay D, I’ll see what I can do. If I refuse to charge him, they really don’t have a case anyways.”

I walked out of the room and headed towards an exit, the entire time watching the two policemen shift uncomfortably as they stood like statues. I heard the elevator ding open and I got inside, pushing the lobby and waiting to descend.

What had I done? I’ve obviously not been on my game, I just gave Ben some unneeded stress. But I wasn’t thinking of the consequences of my actions, he just looked so helpless and I thought I could help him out. Great, I pity kissed him … the worst kind of kiss. But did I truly love Cole? Maybe he was a fleeting fancy, maybe he was the one. I guess a trip to the courthouse would suffice, I could see what he had to say.

As I made my way down the hallway and out the door, I noticed the cop car sitting on the side of the road. I sighed to myself, does this guy every give up? I made my way to the street, trying to flag down a cab. The lights on the cop car went off and he pulled up alongside me, a smirk on his stupid face.

“You know, hitchhiking is not only dangerous, but illegal. Would you like me to take you down to the station?” The cockiness in his voice really irritated me; I just wanted to punch him a few times. Oh god, why am I even thinking like this?

“No. I will wait for a cab, I need to stay away from people like you.” I moved further down the street, waiting for the familiar orange sign to appear. The detective back up, closer to me again. When will you fuck off?

“Come on, Derek. I’ll take you to Cole so you can talk to him. He’s actually been waiting for you. Now get in.”

I knew he wasn’t going to leave me alone, so reluctantly I got into the cruiser, sitting beside the detective. He turned onto the freeway and headed to the courthouse, Derek didn’t want to talk to him, he was just being nosey and annoying.

“So let me get this straight, Cole is your current boyfriend and Benjamin is your ex-boyfriend?” The fact he was even asking me this question irritated me, but I needed to keep my cool. I didn’t need him pressing charges against me.

“Is that really any of your business? My personal life is no matter of yours. I’m not your friend.”

He gave me a cold look, “You don’t let people in easily, do you? What if I wanted to be your friend?”

His question caught me of guard, I wasn’t expecting this part of the conversation with the detective who was investigating and possibly charging my current boyfriend with attempted murder. Should I answer his question honestly, or should I lie through my teeth? Was he using me to build evidence against Cole?

“Why would I even want to be your friend? You are the one charging my boyfriend with attempted murder. I already talked to Benjamin and he refuses to press charges. So why don’t you lay off and we’ll maybe start a friendship when you’re done being a dick.”

He gave me a faked hurt look, “I am not a dick. I am not going to charge Cole, once you talk to him he’s free to go.” He sighed, pulling into the courthouse, “Just make sure you know what you want. I can see something in Benjamin’s eyes and I know you can see it too. Choose wisely.”

I got out of the car and slammed the door shut, who the hell does this guy think he is? I can choose whoever I damn well please. Someone is going to get hurt in the process anyways, someone always gets hurt. Why is it up to me? Either of those guys could decide against dating me, but neither of them have, so I will not be responsible for my actions.

Walking up to the front desk, I noticed a few interrogation rooms had people in them, was one of them Cole? “Excuse me, I’m looking for Cole Bradley.”

“Name?”

“I said, Cole Bradley.” Irritation flowed through me already, and I just got here.

“No sir, your name. I need to check if you’re on the allowed conferences.” The woman behind the counter gave me a look like I should have known that. I’m sorry if the thought of being in this place freaked me the fuck out.

“Oh sorry. Derek Sanders.” I tapped my finger on the desk and she typed something into the computer, nodding she got up from her chair.

“Right this way, sir. He’s waiting in Conference Room 3.” I followed here through the masses of cops and cons, walking into the conference room. I looked at Cole, my smile brightened up a little. She closed the door and I sat down on the opposite side of the table from him. He looked kind of sexy in orange … if that was possible.

“Hey.”

Looking over at my direction, he gave me a side smirk, “Wasn’t sure you were even going to come. I’ve been in here for two days and you hadn’t come yet. Whatcha been doing?”

I knew he was accusing me of something, but I wasn’t having any of it. “I just got released from the hospital, and I needed to talk to Benjamin, who swears he’s not charging you with anything. You didn’t even do anything wrong, so why are you still in here? That god forsaken Detective said you were free to go.”

“So you’re fucking the detective too, hey?” His voice was emotionless, I couldn’t tell if he was being serious or not.

“E-excuse me?”

“I know what you’ve been doing, Derek. I can’t believe you; I’ve been stuck in god damn prison for you. My dad said he’s been watching you and you’ve been a horrible person.” He remained emotionless, which scared me to the bone. What was he talking about; did he know about the kiss between me and Benjamin?

“Seriously Cole, what the hell are you talking about? You’re starting to scare me.” I felt like I was begging, which I hated, but I couldn’t help myself; I wanted to know what he was going off about.

“Derek, I have some news for you. It’s gonna hurt, but it needs to be said.”

“What?” I was close to tears, what could he possibly say that would hurt more than his tone.

He sighed, looking down at the ground, “Derek. I don’t love you.”