19. Confessions

A/N: Hey Guys, here is the next chapter. This one is kinda shorter, but there is a total bombshell of a shocker heading your way in Chapter 20 and I didn't want to post it in this one. Hope you enjoy! :3

Here’s that moment again, the one where everything stands still and you’re just looking at the world in slow motion. What was he doing here? Why was he even in the same state as me? God, if my mother had anything to do with this I would be severely pissed at her. I looked away from him and out the window, Cole got a look on his face that looked like he realized I did not want to see the man standing in the doorway.

“I was hoping we would be able to talk. I heard about your accident and I was hoping we could share a few memories. We haven’t seen each other in a while and I just thought we could talk, this could be a wakeup call for us both.”

“I don’t think he really wants to see you, sir. I’m pretty sure he wants nothing to do with you.” Cole spoke up, glaring at the man standing in the doorway. Oh how scary it was he got me. “So, just turn around and walk the other way.”

A pained expression started to make its way on the man’s pale face, but he persisted to walk into the room, “Are you his lawyer or something because you have no right to say these things to me. I was his father for god’s sake.”

“Were being the keyword here, Keith. You’re not my father anymore and this is my boyfriend, who has every right to talk to a homophobic asshole like you. Please, heed his warning and get the fuck out of my room.” If only I could shoot ice cycles out of my mouth and stab him with them.

“Derek, I really think you could have died. I would like to clear the air, can we please talk in private?”

I let out the biggest, most dramatic sigh I could muster, “If we must talk, there is nothing you can say to me that Cole can’t here. So spill the beans, let’s hear what pathetic excuses you can come up with.”

Sitting at the end of the bed, he pulled his jacket off, “The last time we spoke I was still confused. I thought this might be a faze or something. I didn’t know what to think of having a gay son, it was a really difficult thought process I needed to go through. I shouldn’t have told you to leave, I should have handled the situation better.”

I gave him a cold glare, “And you didn’t think for one second it was hard enough for me to come out to you? You kicked me out onto the street. Do you even know what I went through the entire time I was on the street? Do you even care what I went through?”

He looked down at the ground, “Derek, I really am sorry. I do care what you went through, but you never gave me the chance to evaluate the situation. Do you know what the guys at the club would think; do you know how they would have reacted? It could have spelt the end of my membership.”

“That’s what your cold shoulder was over, a god damn golf membership? Your relationship with your son ended because of some membership with a group of homophobic bible thumpers?” I started to crack, the seams that held me together started fraying, “I cannot believe that is the reason you got so upset!? How the hell is that supposed to make it better!? How the hell does that make it right what you did. You are a fucking joke, get the hell out of my room. I didn’t want to see your face and I never want to see it together.”

I gave Cole a disgusted look, I wanted to say so much more right now but the anger inside of me was making me choke, I could kill the bastard right now.

“Will you let me finish?”

Being quiet the entire time, Cole finally gave me a sad look, “You should let him finish. Maybe there’s good news at the end of this story?”

Shooting Cole a look I coldly replied, “Fine.”

“After a year or so of regretting my decision to let you leave, another guy at the club was telling us his son came out as gay the weekend before this tournament. I felt even worse because everyone was totally supportive and here I thought I’d be kicked out. I asked your mother where you were, but she reminded me of the restraining order. I talked to a friend of mine who is a judge and he said I could get it temporarily removed because it was not a physical order. I only have a short time and I needed to talk to you. Can you please forgive me?”

I looked over at him, trying to read his body language, he did look extremely sad, but it still wasn’t enough to make me forgive him, this would take time. “I don’t know. You really destroyed a relationship with your son and to be honest, I don’t know if I can forgive what you did. Especially what you said at the emancipation meeting.”

“I know and I’m sorry. I was still in the denial period. I’ll go now, but please think about giving me a call. As you know me and your mother separated recently and I have a different number.” He put a business card on the nightstand, “So give me a call.”

I was dumbfounded; I didn’t know this, “Wait. You and mom split up? When did this happen?”

“Well… we…” He choked up. I was not supposed to know about this little tidbit of information.

“How are my two guys making up? Are we finally getting the tension cleared?” Walking to the room, she felt her chest, “Doesn’t feel like it. Maybe I should go for now.”

“Mother.” I looked at her, pointing towards the bed, “Sit down. You can be added into this conversation. You have some ‘splaining to do.”

She gave me a nervous look as she sat down next to my father, “What seems to be the issue?”

“When were you going to tell the boy we’ve separated? Why keep it a secret? He probably knew it was coming years ago. Really Eileen, what do you have to say for yourself?” His tone wasn’t mean, but from the look he was giving my mother, he was not too pleased to find out that I didn’t know.

“Oh come on Keith! How am I supposed to tell him that we are getting divorced? It was your fault in the first place, if you hadn’t been so god damn arrogant none of this wouldn’t have happened!”

I looked at Cole, who was shifting uncomfortably on his feet.

“Wait … divorced? You’re not even going to work it out!?” I was now furious, I never knew my mother to give up this easily. “WHY!?”

Sighing, my mother looked at me with sad eyes, “Your father had an affair and he had a child with another woman. This was years before you were born. I’m sorry you found out this way, it was my intention to tell you later on. I’m sorry hunny, but it’s hot the cookie crumbles. I tried to get over it, but I really never did well with pressure.” She sighed, looking back at my father, “And then he had an affair just last month with one of his golfing buddies.”