01. Cole Bradley

This is the prologue to the newest story, The Boss' Son. Here it is! Vote, comment, enjoy!

I sat in a room with five other guys, I was nervous and sweat was beading down my forehead. I was applying for a new job, but not just any job. I was applying for the new news anchor job on the segment called “The Lighter Side”. It was a small segment, only having about an hour of airtime, but it was extremely important to the company. Instead of all the brash and harsh news of murders, robberies, kidnappings and other day to day horrifying occurrences, this segment was about puppies, kitties, rainbows and unicorns.

Okay, maybe not unicorns and rainbows. I just meant it was a happy little segment so people could restore their faith in humanity. I really wanted the job, seeing as it could turn into a full on career for me. I was turning twenty-five in the summer and I really needed a career, something to start a family with and buy a nice little house.

“Mister Sanders, you’re next.” Her voice wafted over to my ears, I saw her smile as I looked over. “Lucky for you, the boss is out sick and he won’t be doing your interview, it’s his son; Cole.” Her smirk suggested something either than just an interview, I quickly shot her a death glare as I sat straight up in my seat.

I had met Kendall when I started working as a janitor; our story of meeting was far different from any other story about a corporate big wig and a little employee on the bottom. I was cleaning the hallways one night and she happened to walk by, rushing to do something. She didn’t see the wet floor sign and the next thing I knew she was falling with her head about to crash into the cold wet linoleum.

I don’t know exactly how I knew she was going to break her head open, but instinct just rose up inside of me. I dashed behind her and caught her falling, saving her head from a terrifying fate. Even since that day, Kendall James has been my best friend.

“I do not know what you’re insinuating, Kendall. I’ve never even met his son; he’s always in his office.” My irritation must have looked pretty funny because two of the guys around me started giggling and so did Kendall.

“Oh hunny. You’re in for a treat then. Come in, he’s—I mean they’re ready for you.” She motioned me in, taking a deep breathe I strode inside the office.

When she said I was in for a treat, I really didn’t expect what I was going to see. There was the normal cast of characters, Mrs. Bradley, Thomas Lancaster and John Smith. But the one person I had never seen stood out like lemonade on a hot summer day. It took me a second to register who it was and what he was doing here.

“Good Afternoon, Mister Sanders.” The voice of Mrs. Bradley came into my line of hearing; I turned over and smiled at her. She was really an amazing woman who didn’t look half the age she was supposed to be. Her hair was a shade of golden brown that was teased heavily into a nice bunch of bouncing curls. She always wore the nicest clothes and her smile was so white, it might have blinded someone in the right light. “I’m surprised to see you here, you don’t give me the impression you’d be anchorman material. I don’t even need to look at your resume, I’m quite aware of your talents. Can you tell me why you’d like to be a news anchor on “The Lighter Side” mister Sanders?”

I froze for a minute, looking at the stranger in the far right side of the table. “Well, Ma’am” I looked away from the stranger and quickly stood up straight, “I’ve been working for Global News for almost six years and have learnt the ins and outs about the business. I know how a news anchor should act and I know exactly what I need to do. I expect I can make an amazing news anchor if given the chance.” I gave her my best smile and stood, waiting for a response.