Run and Hit

As a black suburban drove into the parking lot of Jose's rundown apartment building, Jose stood on his second floor balcony, smoking a cigarette. John spotted him as he got out of the car and waved and put on a fake smile. Another man got out on the other side, and went back to the trunk, and opened it.

Kurt had an idea. In the back was a cooler, that could fit one small body in it, and he knew there was no other way of getting those kids through the doors of the most-likely-rigged-with-video-cameras apartment doors. "Hey, Girlie, get over here. Climb over the back seat, and get in this cooler." Miranda knew by now not to go against either of her captors wishes, so she did what she was told, looking at Chris with fearful eyes. She barely fit with the top of the blue cooler locked and it was tight. As soon as it was completely dark, she began to feel extremely claustrophobic.

"John! Get your butt over here and help me lift this cooler!" John, who was now walking towards the back of the car, wondered out loud, "Is one of them in it?" Kurt rolled his eyes, "No we brought a few cases of beer and hamburgers." he stated sarcastically. John looked through the back of the car and saw Chris sitting there, now knowing that the lighter of the two was in the cooler. "No funny business while we're gone, you hear me, boy? The doors are locked, and I can catch you in a second and take you down, so don't even think about it."

But Chris was already thinking about it, he also knew that most apartment buildings had video cameras all over them. Even if he stuck his arm out of the window, some one would know he was there. If he managed to get to the payphone that he could already see on the corner down the street, he could call 911 and save himself and Miranda. "We'll be right back." John said as he and Kurt picked up the blue cooler and slammed the trunk door shut.

~~~~~

Miranda already felt like it had been an hour in there. She couldn't breathe. She couldn't move. She was panicking. Right when she was about to scream, she felt herself being picked up. Now she was moving. She suddenly had a fear that the men were going to drop her, or do something worse, like separate her from Chris, or leave her there in the parking lot, or murder her. She felt around the edge of the bottom of the cooler. There had to be one of those little plug things that drained all the water out of the cooler when you were done with it.

In a fetal position with her legs on her chest above her, and her arms scrunched in under them, it was hard to even move an inch, but she knew if she could get to that little hole, she would at least feel like she could breath. After a minute or two of uncomfortably groping around with her hands and feet tied, it ended up being right next to the right side of her head. She pushed as hard as she could with her pinkie finger before it popped open.

Hoping John or Kurt didn't notice it, she pushed the plug out as far as she could. Air. She could never remember it feeling this good in her lungs. But that wasn't the only advantage of the hole being near her head, she could also see out of it with one eye. Miranda could hear things too, but it didn't seem like John and Kurt were talking. She managed to make out that they just went through a wooden door, and about to go upstairs. 'Oh God,' she thought, 'This is gonna be a bumpy ride.'

~~~~~

As soon as Chris saw John and Kurt pass the window, he felt bad for Miranda, realizing how small that cooler really was. He had the responsibility to save her from that. She didn't deserve being stuffed into a small thing like that. He was going to make a run for it. Right when that wooden door closed, he slowly unlocked the backseat's door. He saw Jose go inside his apartment to open the door for the men, but when Chris put his hand on the handle, he forgot one thing; to untie his feet.

Chris quickly looked around for something sharp enough to cut the rope. Searching everywhere, he tumbled onto the floor, knowing that his time was running out. Attempting to jump into the front seat, he found the most useful thing he could in the glove compartment. A gun. He didn't know what kind it was, but that it already had a silencer on it. This was going to be dangerous, and Chris couldn't afford losing a foot. He quickly spread his feet as far apart as they would go, aimed at the two layers of inch think rope, and pulled the trigger.