A Hint

The black Suburban drove off just as the other car came screaming past them. It thought that the lump on the road was just roadkill, but it wasn't. John drove off leaving the body and her car to be found later by some other policeman. No one could know it was him, and there was no evidence to prove it, that he knew of. Miranda was silently crying into Chris' shoulder in the back seat. She thought that John was the true devil now. What did that cop do to him? More like, what was she going to do him, was what he was afraid of. It just wasn't fair. Chris tried to comfort her, with his arms around her, and she soon fell asleep.

~~~~~

Terry had just got to work at seven. Sitting down at his desk, he immediately got a call from what it sounded like, a psycho, but didn't they all sound like that? "Hello? 911, what's your emergency?" A man answered all panicky, "Um, we're on the highway and there's a dead cop on the side of the road." Oh man....

~~~~~

Officer Joe got a call at his desk. Answering it he knew he got the hint he needed for the Rand case. He got off the phone and went down the hall. A cop had recently gotten murdered and left on an Indiana highway. The caller told him that the video camera in the front of the police car caught the whole thing, and possibly saw captives in the back. "Who's the cop?" He asked as soon as he closed the door. His friend Mark answered, "Uh, Officer Marty McHall. A blond, middle aged cop from Indiana. Such a shame... but here's the video." He turned the projector on and replayed a scene from 6:45 that morning.

The officer turned on her lights, pulled over a black Suburban, got out, the driver opened his window... and then it went haywire. You could tell the driver was holding a gun out the window, he opened his door before she got to her taser, she fell over, he put the gun to her head, she stood up, he looked back to someone in the passenger seat, and pulled the trigger. Then you saw the two shadows in the back seat jump. One had short brown hair bounce away from the side window, and into the other persons shoulder. The man got into the car and drove away.

They got their hint though. Officer Joe wrote down the license plate number and tried to memorize the murderers' face as he went back to his office and called the police in Indiana, telling them to run down that car.

~~~~~

Miranda woke up flustered and hot. Chris' arms were still around her but he had fallen asleep. None of them had gotten much the night before, explaining the random sleeping times. She looked into his face, and thought that she was pretty lucky to be with a guy like him in this situation. He was nice, comforting, and most of all, hot. Whoa, stop right there. No romantic relationships were gonna happen while they were being kidnapped. 'Wait until we're saved,' she thought, and woke him up so that she could get out of his close embrace. He opened his beautiful blue eyes and lifted his arms.

"Anything happen while we were sleeping?" he whispered groggily. "Not that I know of." Miranda replied. Kurt then turned around. "Okay kiddies, we changed our plans, we're gonna stop at a friends' place instead of going so far west. There's too much of a risk... We just passed the Indiana - Illinois state line. " Miranda and Chris looked at each other with fearful eyes. What did this mean for them? Were they going to get something worse than kidnapped?

~~~~~

"Hello?" a gruff voice answered. "Hey, Jose, it's me, John." "What do you want? I told you to never talk to me again." Jose sounded angry. "I was just going to ask a favor of you." Jose knew what was coming, it was always the same. "I'm going to need your address." John said, knowing how to threaten people was a gift of his. "Why? You know I don't want to deal with your dirty business." Jose had known for years that John was a mass kidnapper and murderer. He had covered his dirty tracks since they were little kids, and were stealing cookies from the cookie jar.

Jose was John's half brother. John's young mom had split up with his dad after he was born, and fell for a another guy, having another baby a year later. Consequently, she couldn't keep her children and dropped them both off in a box outside of an orphanage. John turned into the bad kid who made his little brother do whatever he wanted, such as covering up tracks and keeping quiet, or else. Jose only did what John wanted because he had no one else, nothing else, and he was ultimately alone. He loved John enough to not want to let him go or get him mad, because he was all he had.

The troubled relationship led to bad habits, and eventually, Jose didn't want to deal with it anymore. And that's where we come to. "Look, I've gotten into some trouble lately, and I need a safe house for awhile." Jose wanted to say no, but he knew if he said that, that John would find him anyway. This way was easier, and less painful. "Fine..." he grumbled and gave him the address that would lead John to the worst part of Casey, Illinois.

Read, comment, and vote!