CHAPTER 14

That kiss...those eyes, his smile. I spent the rest of the night in my own world. My heart was beating uncontrollably. I haven't felt this happy in a while. The old Alexander, the one I knew and loved is finally coming back. Angelica comes back into the living room with a hot cup of tea for me and her. She sets it down on the table, it's steam warming my insides giving me a sense of comfort. Angelica notices me smiling happily to myself, looking away from her.
"Wow."
I look up at her.
"You're smiling." This makes me smile even more. Angelica sits down next to me.
"The old Eliza is coming back." This makes me smile. Feeling genuine joy for the first time in a long time.
"I am seeing the light, the light that was in you the first time you met Alexander." She pauses. "Do you really think he's changed."
"I mean, he's been acting like himself, he's been considerate, and passionate...." I sigh. "I believe he's changed." I feel a burst of positive energy come over me. I jump up from the couch suprising Angelica.

"What are you doing?"

"I'll be right back!" I shout while racing up the stairs. I go into my bedroom and open my old closet door. In there are some toys that were given to be for Phillip but we never used. I take out the gender neutral ones, some boy clothes that Phillip never wore, and some girl clothes as well. I put them into a brown box, tie it up with ribbon and head downstairs again. Angelica sees me while sipping her tea, she puts her cup down and says: "What's all that?"

I set down the heavy box and catch my breath. "Some stuff for Maria's baby, Phillip got all these toys and clothes that we never used so I thought, why not give them away. Besides, I need more room in that old closet anyway."

Angelica smiles. "I'm so proud of you." I smile back at her, grab my coat, and go to Maria's house. I reach her doorstep and for the first time without hesitation I knock on the door. No one answers..the house sounds quiet. My heart stops for a moment. I knock again, still no answer. I put my hand on the door knob, turn and the door suprisingly opens. I gasp and step back, my heart pounding in my chest. I know I shouldn't but, I walk inside anyway. There house is similar to ours; a nice foyer, a living area, and the stairs leading up to the second floor bedrooms. I take small slow steps, trying to stop the old wooden floors from creaking. I hear voices talking so I peep my head into the living room and I see Alexander and Maria sitting close together having a conversation. I keep my head out so I can see but make sure that they don't catch me.

"Thank you Alexander for everything. I don't know what I could've done without you. Not having James here is so hard, but you.." She places her hand on top of his. "You make it bearable." She looks him deeply in his eyes, making my heart pound faster and faster, it's so loud I can hear it in my ears, feel it in my throat.

"Of course. I mean, this was my mistake in the first place."

"It wasn't a mistake. This baby is a gift." She says looking at her stomach, which is starting to show. "I want you to stay with me, we can live together and we can raise this baby together."

"No, Maria-we discussed this." He says starting to get up from the couch.

"Why don't you want a life with me?" She asks clutching both of his arms. Alexander sits back down and sighs, rubbing his temples.

"Maria, I have a wife, who I love, and things are just starting to work out for us-"

"But I love you more than her. " She places her hands on his face, cupping it in her hands. His face shocked and showing discomfort. 

"Maria-"

"WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?" She starts to yell at him, her eyes begin to water. My heart starts to race again. Her face goes from hopeful to angry in the blink of an eye. She grabs a beer bottle that was near by and raises it up. She grits her teeth anger rising in her. I know that I have to do something, but what can I do? She's a pregnant woman, it wouldn't be right to hurt her, but Alexander. His life is at stake...

Before she can hit him, I drop the box and run in. I rush in front of Alexander and the bottle hits my head instead of his. I hear him yell in agony as I fall onto the floor, my vision is blurred, but I see a blurred vision of Alexander his face full of worry, his hand is on my cheek, and I feel my cheek get wet with one of his tears. I smile at him before my world turns dark...