CHAPTER 12

Alexander POV

I have been sitting in my office working on some paperwork. Trying to focus on what I need to do but Eliza's mention of Maria's baby distracts me. She's right that the baby exists because of me. Maria isn't fit to take care of the baby by herself. She needs someone to help her. I neatly stack up the papers and put them in the corner of my desk. I put on my emerald green coat and go to Maria's house. Once I get to the door I stand and stare at it for a minute.

"No schenanigans." I tell myself. "You can't, for Eliza."

I finally knock on the door. Maria immediately comes to the door. I automatically look at her stomach to see if she's showing. She isn't showing, but how could she possibly? It's way to early. I still, deep down, am praying that the baby is just an idea, an illusion.

"Alexander." She says shocked that I'm there. I remember the last time we spoke. I yelled at her, when she should've yelled at me. She has every right to do so. She's the one carrying the baby after all. None of this would've happened if it wasn't for me.

"Maria, can I come in?"

She nods and I walk inside and sit in her sofa in the living area. She walks over and stands in front of me, crossing her arms.

"Why are you here? I thought you didn't want anything to do with me."

"I'm sorry that I yelled at you. I shouldn't have done that, I realize now that this baby is all because of me. If it wasn't for me you wouldn't be pregnant."

"I want to have this baby. I have always wanted to be a mother. My first baby died prematurely, and I thought that I would never be able to have another child. But I am thanks to you."

"And I want to help you raise the child." Her face lights up.

"Really?!"

I nod. She runs over to hug me and I almost fall off the couch. She ends up on my lap her face and inch away from mine. We lock eyes for a moment then we both look down and blush.

"Thank you." She says getting off of me and sitting next to me.

"I really appreciate it. I know James wont take care of the child. He'd kill me if knew."
I almost forgot about James. I haven't seen him since he injured Angelica.
"It's my duty as the child's father." There's a moment of a silence and she finally says:

"What made you change your mind?"

Good question.
"Well it's my duty as the child's father and it wouldn't be right for me to leave you to take care of a child by yourself. Besides, I owe you. I have caused you so much pain, yet you still have sympathy for me."
"Well that's what happens when you love someone." She says locking eyes with me. We stare at each other for longer than we should've. I see her eye move down to my lips and back to my eyes. I know that I'm in trouble. I know I told myself I wasn't going to give in, but I missed the feeling of having someone's lips against mine. To have someone's body close to mine...

She leaned in and for some reason I didn't back away.

"What are you doing?!"  

"Don't do this!" I tell myself. I don't listen, I lean in closer to her, my eyes slowly closing. I feel her cold palm against my cheek. Her lips finally touch mine softly. I want to resist, I want to so bad... But I can't. I finally give in, suddenly kissing her harder. I pull her closer to me so that there is nothing separating us. In that moment, I forgot my worries. I don't worry about my endless stack of papers, the child that I am going to have. Maria breaks away to catch her breath, but I don't want to stop.

"Alex, are you sure that you want to do this. I don't want you do anything you will regret."

"I've never been more sure about anything." I stroke her cheek with my hand an then kiss her again.