CHAPTER 13

ELIZA'S POV
I am alone once again with Phillip. I am sitting in the living area reading, while Phillip eats his supper. I try to read, hoping to escape from my reality but I can't. I keep thinking about Alexander. I know he's with Maria to help her out with the baby, but who knows what else they could be doing. Was I wrong to suggest that he should help her? No. Things have been going good between us. He's been coming home at reasonable hours and he's acting like the man I remember. The man I fell in love with. But deep down, doubtful feelings still linger. Angelica is finally back home and I hear her coming down the stairs from the guest bedroom.
"Hey." I say. "How was your nap?"
"Good." She says with a yawn. "I wasn't expecting to be sleeping all day."
"That's good though, you'll be ready to go back to London in no time." I say with a smile.
"So, you haven't given me the details on Alexander. How are things?"
"Well, he is going to be a father again-"
"Wait! Are you?..."
"No, the woman he's been with is pregnant."
"Oh. I'm sorry." She pauses. "So what's he going to do. Is he going to take care of the child with her or?..."
"Yeah he is. It wouldn't be right if he didn't. He got her pregnant so he owes her that."
"I don't know how you have so much sympathy for her. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't be sympathetic at all."
"It isn't all her fault. Alexander is a part of it too. I can't be just mad at her."
"That's true. So how are things between you two now?"
"Definitely better than they were last month. We are on good terms. I am starting to trust him again and I see that he's finally acting like the Alexander I fell in love with."
"That's good. I'm proud of you Eliza. You're so strong." She says touching my cheek.
Phillip runs over to us and says:
"I'm done eating mommy. Can I play with Aunt Angie now?"
"Sure. But you better be in bed by 8:00." I say.
He rolls his eyes at me and goes upstairs with her. Alexander comes in through the front door. I internally sigh of relief.
"Hey." He says.
"Hey, how are things going?"
"Well," He starts, sitting next to me on the sofa.
"The baby is healthy and things are going well so far."
"That's good." Both of us sense the awkwardness in this conversation. He saves me by changing the subject.
"How's Angelica feeling?"
"Good, she's adjusting well. The doctors say she can go back to London soon. I know Phillip won't like that very much."
"Yeah, he loves her."
"She's so good at taking care of kids. She's going to be such a good mother."

"Yeah, but not as good as you." He looks at me and I look at him and genuinely smile. This is the first time I have genuinely smiled in a long time. His puppy dog eyes stare into mine and he leans in to kiss me. This time I don't back away. This feels right. His lips reach mine and it takes me back to a magical night....

Alexander I were sitting at a bench near the beach. All you see is the horizon and sparkling blue waters. All you hear is the crashing of the waves. The smell of the salty waters and sand fills my senses. Alexander is sitting next to me on the bench, his arm wrapped around my shoulder. My head on his shoulder. We sit there in silence listening to the sounds of the beach at night. I felt him looking at me so I take my head off his shoulder and say:

"What?"

"Nothing, I just love looking at you." I smiled a ridiculous smile and blushed. Luckily he couldn't see it cause of how dark was. "I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you." My heart fluttered in my chest.

"Me too." He kissed me passionately. This wasn't just any kiss. This kiss made a feeling arise in me. A feeling I've never felt before. This was the kiss that let me know that all the love I felt for him was real. It was true. I knew I loved him, and him only.

"Eliza, Phillip's in bed-" I hear Angelica say. Alexander and I break away from the kiss, awkwardly.

"Sorry if I was interrupting anything..." She says I hear in her voice she's trying not to laugh.

"No, you're fine." I say awkwardly, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

Alexander gets up from the couch and says "Well it's getting late, goodnight Angelica." He pauses. "Goodnight Eliza." He says looking into my eyes.

"Goodnight." I respond. Once he leaves I bite my lip and look away from Angelica.

"Well...I guess things between you and Alexander are better than I thought." She says jokingly.

I look away from her and smile to myself.

"We weren't doing...anything-"

"When you want to talk about it, let me know." She says heading upstairs. Once she leaves I touch my lip gently with my finger tips.