CHAPTER 9

The next morning I feel tired, I stayed up half the night thinking about Alexander. How he almost said that he loved me, but stopped. The guilt he's feeling. I get up, get ready, put on some makeup to look and feel better than I do. But instead I feel like it's a mask that's covering up my sorrow. I go downstairs and see Alexander playing with Phillip which reminds me of the good days. When our marriage was simple and happy. When we were so in love with each other we didn't know how to handle it. BAlexander and Phillip hear me and look at me at the same time. They have the same look in their eyes.
"Good morning." Alexander says with a half smile.
"Hi."
"Where are you going?" He asks getting up from the floor.
"To see Angelica."
"Ok, I'll come with." He says grabbing his coat. I didn't respond because I didn't want to fight over something so stupid. So I let him come with. He tells Phillip that we will be back, hugs him, and we go out the door. The whole walk to the infirmary is silent, which doesn't bother me. I look out the corner of my eye occasionally to see see Alexander. I can tell he is feeling awkward. He looks at me and then down at the ground. I know he wants to say something but his mouth stays shut. We get to the infirmary and go to Angelica's room. She is wearing a robe and she doesn't look like herself. She has no makeup on, her hair is in a messy bun, and her lips are cracked. Yet despite all that she looks beautiful. She gives Alexander and I a weak smile. We go to different sides of her bed she gently touches my cheek with her weak hands and says:
"Eliza." I smile at her trying to hold back my tears. I hated seeing my sister like this. She looks over at Alexander and touches his hand. Her hand shaking everytime she moved it.
"Alex." She says weakly. Alexander smiles at her and holds her hand.
"How are you feeling?" He asks.
"My wound is healing, the doctors said that the bullet didn't damage much. I just need a lot of bed rest so that my wound can heal fully."
"That's good to hear." I say.
"How are you guys?"
Alexander and I look at each other at the same time then down at the ground. Not wanting to express our true feelings.
"Fine. Just restless." He responds.
"Well I just wanted to drop by and see you. I will give you two some privacy." He pauses and then looks at me. "I'll see you at home Eliza." He puts his hands pockets and walks out of the room. Angelica waves at him and then looks at me. She holds my hand and I kneel down to get closer to her.
"How are you doing?"
"Good, just worried about you-"
"No. How are you actually doing?" Angelica always knew when I was feeling down and could read my mind. I would never tell how I actually felt, I would always change the subject. I noticed that about her too. We were just alike. Which was a good thing and a bad thing.
"Okay, I guess. Alexander tried to apologize but he didn't know what to say. He was having a hard time speaking his feelings. I want to believe he's sorry, but my mind won't let me. My heart, is so naive. My heart is telling me to give him a chance."
"That's normal. You've been in love with him for a long time, you still are. You always want to trust the people you love. But when they betray you it hurts you so much. You want to let them in but can't let them in so easily. If you do, you risk him breaking your heart again while it's healing."
"You're right." I sigh.
"Just see if he can redeem himself. Be careful." She squeezes my hand.
"Now go home and relax. Come back if you need something or if something happens."
I nod and let go of her hand. I look at her one last time and walk out of the room. I put my hands in my dress pockets and walk home. When I get home, the house is unusually quiet.
"Hello! Alexander-Philly? Are you here?" I call out. I check the kitchen, the bedrooms, Alexander's first, then Phillip's. Phillip is sleeping soundly which takes away some of my nerves. I check the dinning room, Alexander's office, and the basement. There are no signs of him. This leads me to think one thing, that he's with her. What I saw when Angelica and I spied on him showed up in my minds eye. I shut my eyes tightly hoping that when I open them, the image will be gone. When I open them it's still there haunting me. A knock at the door interrupts my thoughts making the image disappear. I open the door and see a familiar face. Her skin a glowing caramel, her curly locks going down to her shoulders-I see the red lips, and the red dress. The image comes back into my mind. I see Alexander passionately kissing a woman with a red dress and red lips. The woman who has been haunting my mind, is at my doorstep.