Chapter 5-Insecurities

"Hey, hey look at me, Angel," Chase lifted my chin with a gentle feather like touch. He caressed my wet face softly.

"Hes knocked out right there," he pointed at his left to the bald guy laying on the ground unconscious. "He will never, or anyone else for that matter, touch you like that ever again." He cooed.

A soft smile emerged on my face and I leaned into Chase's cheek. I kissed him there softly and lingered there for awhile and then pulled away slowly.

"Thank you." I whispered gratefully and started caressing his hand which was bruised and bloody. My smile diminished and turned into a frown. His hand was like this because of me.

Like a talented mind-reader, Chase again softly lifted my chin and spoke, "I've had worst."

My frown deepened and I got out of his lap, pulling him up at the same time. As soon as I was on my feet, my legs started wobbling and I almost fell on the dirty ground, but Chase, like the gentleman he was, picked me up in his arms and started cradling me.

"I know you want to hurry home to fix my hand but your body is under shock, Angel." Chase explained to my flustered self.

"Can we please go home?" I whispered while biting my lip and quickly glancing at the bald man on the ground.

Chase sighed but nodded and made me comfortable in his cradling arms. He started carrying me out the alley silently and held me as tight as he could without hurting me. I cuddled closer in his warm and spark igniting embrace while a whimper escaped my lips. I think I heard Chase's breath hitch, it could just have been my imagination though.

After five minutes, we finally reached my apartment and he carried me in the elevator all the way to my room, located in my apartment. He carefully laid me on my bed, which still had his faint scent around it. He started to walk away.

"Please stay," I whimpered.

Chase didn't have to be told twice as he took off his shoes and motionlessly laid there looking at the ceiling. I snuggled closer to him and he immediately tensed but quickly relaxed then wrapped his strong arms around me in a safe and loving manner.

"The medical kit is under my bed," I spoke, silently asking him to retrieve it.

He nodded in understatement and loosened his grip around me, but didn't let go. He used one of his hands to get it. Placing it between us, he had to let me out of his comforting embrace, much to my disappointment.

I shakily sat up and crisscrossed my legs, sitting Indian style. Chase followed my lead. I tenderly took his arm and started cleaning it with disinfectant. He bit his lip in pain causing his lips to turn a medium shade of red.

My body froze and and I was completely mesmerized my his perfectly sculpted lips. I trailed my eyes up to meet his dark blue ones, already staring back at me, making me feel wanton. Achingly slow, we inched closer and closer. I felt his breath right on my lips until we were only few breaths away from one another.

Just a little closer, I pleaded until Chase broke out of this weird trance first and pulled away as fast as lightening. My heart throbbed in pain and my lips burned for his on mine.

With a heavy heart I looked away and quickly cleaned his hand, being extra careful not to touch him at all. As soon as I had wrapped the last piece of bandage securely on his hand, he bolted out of the room with a low thank you.

He shut the door and in that moment tears fell from my eyes for a reason I didn't know. I curled up in a ball and cried as much as my heart desired. Letting all of the unknown feelings out. Why am I feeling this for a mere stranger?