Chapter 22: Empty

Elijah's POV

I sigh as I look over at Clarabella. She was sitting against a tree in the backyard, a book against her curled up knees as she rested in the shade. I wasn't fooled though, and I knew my brother wasn't either. 

It was obvious that Bella wasn't reading. Her eyes stared off into the distant, empty, her arms lay at her sides, not even bothering to turn the pages and under those empty eyes of hers were dark circles, her pale skin making her seem sick. It had been nearly a week and a half since Klaus had convinced her to come back home with him, and I was fearing that there was nothing we, personally, could do that would help her. Compelling calmed her down for a short amount of time but no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't fix what was inside her mind that bothered her, she simply wouldn't forget or be better.

My head snapped up as I heard a whimpering coming from the yard. My eyes immediately found Bella and her previously still self was no shaking uncontrollably, looking around herself frantically. Tears began to fall down her face as her whimpers turned into small screams.

"It's happening again." I mutter, knowing my brother would hear me. I start out the door and into the yard, but he was already there, kneeling infront of her with his hands on either side of her face, thumbs wiping away the tears gently.

"Shhh...calm down love." her pupils dilated as he compelled her, "There is nothing there, nothing is hurting you. Forget." 

She blinked several times before staring at Klaus with a blank expression. She blinked once more at him before turning her head away, her eyes returning to their blank state. The only evidence of her fit were the tear tracks staining her pale, sunken cheeks.

Klaus swallowed hard as he stared at her, before turning and walking back towards the house. I could see that haven her broken like this was breaking him as well, no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

"Niklaus, can I have a word?" I ask as we make it inside the house.

"I already know what you're going to say Elijah. It's not going to happen." he growls, turning to face me with fury in his eyes.

"I don't want it any more than you do, but I believe that it's the most logical thing to d-"

"LOGIC!? How is throwing Clara, my Clara, my innocent, wonderful Clara into a cage, as if she were a rabid animal, logical!? How is that going to help her!? TELL ME HOW!!" He roared.

"It isn't throwing her in a cage! She is sick! There are mental doctors specifically for this reason Nik! She needs help and we cannot provide it. If you truly cared for her you w-"

Suddenly I am against the wall by my throat, Niklaus' face in mine, his fangs bared angrily, "HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY INTENTIONS!?"

I lifted a hand and pushed it against his wrist. He snarled at me and pushed it more furiously against my throat before backing off angrily. He threw his arms out to the side, waiting for me to get on with it and speak.

"I do not question that you love her. I merely wonder why you would not want to help her the best that you can. This compelling every couple of hours? It isn't helping! It's merely emptying her of who she is! Every so often all it is is, 'forget Forget FORGET!' do you honestly think that she can handle that!? In the state that she is in!? These people are professionals, they know what they are doing, and they can help her. Please, let us at least consult with them."

He's about to argue more when Clarabella comes walking inside. We both go silent, looking towards her. She glances at us for a moment before turning away and continuing to walk without meaning. She walked towards the kitchen, stood in the doorway for a minute before turning around and walking straight back into the backyard. We followed behind her and watched as she merely sat back in her previous spot, not bothering to pick up the book, just staring ahead of her.

I looked at Niklaus and saw the pain on his face. He glanced back at the kitchen, obviously thinking about how she hadn't eaten willingly in the past week. He licked his lips and swallowed hard as he turned back to look at her. Finally he nodded, "Alright. I'm not agreeing to comitting her. I still think that's horrible...but I'll invite a doctor here. I'm not promising anything more. Clarabella doesn't deserve to be stored away, alone, in a cell...but she does deserve help..."

*Wooooow! Short as crap chapter but don't worry, more to come tonight :) I'll make sure to post another before I go to bed, this was because I wanted to set the scene :) Hope you liked it.*

Love You All,

Julia