Chapter 26

Shannon sat quietly listening to Alasdair and his father as they talked about improvements and helping England. Uncle William had wasted half of England's fortunes and forced the tenants and farmers to pay extravagant high taxes forcing them into starvation and poverty.

He looked at Alasdair as he spoke his hands matching his words. He showed his father on the maps where to be more productive and what to plant. He also borrowed him money to begin rebuilding and ships to transport and important. He missed his highlanders big rough callous hands on him but Alasdair has gone quiet. Its been a week and he still sleeps on the floor. Shannon bit his lip. If he asked Alasdair a question his answers would come in the form of grunt and nods.

"Give him time Shannon. I think he's a bit hurt. He come running to you as you wanted. He asked forgiveness as you wanted he explained and thought you were fine. Then you forced him to show you the ugly truth because you did not really believed him. He revealed secrets in our presents ,secrets no one except them were privy to. Give him time" his mother said in a low voice.
"I know mother but its been days. He sleeps on the floor" Shannon whispered back.
"Oh my boy. I can't help you with that. You know they said that the chief McKinnon was unbreakable. He had no heart. So rumours went but from what I've seen a small boy like you can break that man into a thousands piece's" Caitlin said.

A rustles of papers had them look at the men. They were done planning and negotiating. Shannon felt a pang in his heart. Alasdair looked tired and weary. He watched as his husband rubbed his eyes. He wished he knew how to approach Alasdair but he have been shutting him out emotionally. If he was hungry in the wee hours of the morning Alasdair would get up and get him food. If his back hurt Alasdair was there to rub it or his feet. Even for the embarrassing moments like helping him pee Alasdair was there but there were no words really only the grunts and nods.

"Shannon we'll be leaving early tomorrow morning. Half of the men have gone. The others are starting tonight. I kept a hundred back to escort us back to Scotland or if you are staying then I'll leave with the men tonight" Alasdair said.

Shannon felt totally surprised. It almost seemed like Alasdair was granting him a divorce.
"Do you not want me to go back to Scotland with you Alasdair" Shannon asked.
"Nay that's not what I'm saying. It just seems that I presumed a lot of things when it comes to you or us. I willna presume from now on. The choice is yours Shannon. If you are unhappy in Scotland then please stay if you happy then come. I promise you you willna be force either way." Alasdair said and smiled but his smile did not reach his eyes. He excused himself and left. Shannon watched his husband back his shoulders slump. Alasdair used to walk tall and stood proud. He never slouched.

"We shall see you later for lunch Shannon." His mothers said as she pulled his father out.

The thing is if a person have to explain himself over and over again to no satisfaction of the other party you'd get tired eventually. Alasdair was tired. Shannon new that but more than just tired he gave up. Now he caters to Shannon's every need and demand while keeping himself distant.
Shannon closed his eyes and rubbed his belly. Better rest while he can it's a long ride back to Scotland.

Alasdair's shield went up he's guarding himself now against doing the wrong thing or saying the wrong thing. He can never do right by his refined dainty English wife. His gaze wonders over his men. They were laughing. Sharing crude jokes amongst each other. Passing the drinks along them. Aye this is were he belong amongst his men not in that fine damn English castle. He went in search for Tormec one of his warriors. His men knew him very well. They knew when to talk and when to pass the whiskey. Tormec handed him the jug as he made himself comfortable next to him.

With his thoughts and heart in turmoil Alasdair swung back the jug. He needed not to feel. One things for certain he doubts whether he was build for marriage at all. He can't seem to keep Shannon happy well except his cock that keeps Shannon happy. In everything else he seemed to fail miserably.

Alasdair stumbled to their room in the early hours of the morning. Shannon sat up waiting up for him. He watched as Alasdair struggled himself out of his clothes. He introduced himself a couple off times to the floor and apologised profusely to it. Shannon couldn't help giggle at his drunk chief.
Alasdair didn't even notice him in the dim light of the room. At his final trip to the floor Alasdair decided it was a good as any place to pass out.

His last grumble of word made Shannon cover his mouth with his hand to hold back his sobs.
"Useless McKinnon. Not....worthy ....love"
Shannon heard the soft snores coming floor. He got up from the bed with a warm fur covering. He laid it down on the floor next to Alasdair and got another one to cover them. He struggled with his big belly to make himself comfortable. He buried his face in Alasdair's broad back.
"I'm sorry I made you feel useless. You are worthy of love McKinnon. You are a good man my husband." Shannon whispered into his back.

It barely felt like sleep when the warriors knocked on the door.
"My lord we ready to leave"
"Aye" Alasdair groaned next to him. Shannon waited for the rant to come as to why he was on the floor.
"Why are you sleeping on the floor Shannon" Alasdair asked. He got up and help Shannon onto his feet.
"I wanted to sleep with my husband" he answered.

Alasdair looked as if he wanted to say more on the subject but he just nodded and turned away from him.
"I dunno know are you coming or staying. I kind of got carried away in the jugs last night." He said as he wiped himself down with cold water.
"I'm going to Scotland with you Alasdair. It's my home" Shannon answered.

Again Alasdair just nodded as he splashed water on his face.
"Then if you aiming to take a bath please do it quickly. We need to get on the road" Alasdair replied.
Shannon moved towards Alasdair he stripped off his nightgown and settled himself against his chest. He took the same cloth Alasdair used and wiped himself. He felt Alasdair's cock stir against his back.

"Well if he couldn't stir Alasdair to rant at him for sleeping on the floor. He would settle for his cock" he thought. Alasdair turned abruptly away from him and started getting dressed. He stood there naked watching Alasdair tie his boots.
"Alasdair can we talk" he asked.
"Are you sick not feelings well. You need me to delay going home" he asked worriedly.
"No I'm fine we can travel but....." He trailed off.
"Then get dress please Shannon we need to be on our way"
"Yes" he answered.

It was a teary goodbye to his family. His mother promised to come the following month. She wanted to help with the birth.
Alasdair helped him into the coach. He mounted his horse and whistled to the driver to move. They made their way slowly to Scotland with Alasdairs on his horse next to the coach.

A hundred warriors escorting them and yet Alasdair still trusted only himself to protect him.

Vote and comment. Thank you.